Images, videos & sound recordings
Important: it is your responsibility to find out whether, and in what ways, you are permitted to use images from the following databases. Please refer to copying images & the Law, the terms/conditions of the relevant database and how to reference images.
- Wikimedia Commons: almost 95,000 images relating to many disciplines & languages - important: by clicking on an image, you will find out whether and how you are entitled to use that image and how you must reference its use
- JISC Digital Media: supports staff in finding, creating & using images - also supports management of large-scale digitisation projects
- JISC MediaHub: high quality film and videos covering all subjects which can be used freely in learning, teaching and research. Accessing JISC MediaHub: after you enter, click on Login via UK Federation & then select the University of Bath from the drop-down menu. After agreeing to terms & conditions, enter your BUCS username & password. Then click on 'Explore' & 'By Collection'.
- TED: video talks given by Isabelle Allende, Gordon Brown, Henry Markram, Steven Pinker & many others - debates on science, technology, design, business, culture & global issues
- TV & Radio Recording: information about the ERA & OU recording licenses, copyright information and links to film & video databases
- Xpert: covers broad discipline range - click on an image to find out in which ways you're permitted to use it - all images should be attributed
From left to right above:
- Sullivan, M.A., 2007. Saint Cyr House. Ohio: Bluffton University. Available from:
http://www.bluffton.edu/~sullivanm/belgium/brussels/index.html [Accessed 19 May 2010].
- TED, n.d. Image related to video: Sean Carroll on the arrow of time (part 1). New York: TED.
Available from: http://www.ted.com/talks/sean_carroll_on_the_arrow_of_time.html [Accessed 19 May 2010].
- Ushioda, M., n.d. Adult hogfish. Copyright: imagequestmarine.com. Bristol: ARKive. Available from
http://www.arkive.org/hogfish/lachnolaimus-maximus/image-G26509.html [Accessed 19 May 2010].
- Architecture & Civil Engineering: audiovisual & image resources
- ARKive: promoted by Sir David Attenborough - contains images, videos & information on the natural world & endangered species
- BFI InView: over 2000 non-fiction film/tv titles illustrating British history and society from the 20th and 21st centuries from the BFI Archive
- British Cartoon Archive: over 9,000 images inc - under copyright to the creators but the British Cartoon Society will facilitate researchers & act as mediators with copyright owners
- British Library Sounds: sound recordings including art, design & architecture interviews, classical, world & jazz recordings, public debates and radio recordings. Members of the University are allowed, for educational purposes, to search, save or print sections and to incorporate sections in print or electronic course packs/VLEs on a secure environment, with appropriate acknowledgement of the source, listing title & copyright owner. For public display or performance of any part of the archive (e.g. conference or seminar), a public performance licence for the specific work/works used would be required. License limits access to users in the UK.
- Casselman Archive of Islamic and Mudejar Spain: over 4,000 images spanning the seventh to the seventeenth century architecture in Spain covering Muslim, Jewish & Christian eras
- The Cell: an Image Library: a "public repository of reviewed and annotated images, videos, and animations of cells from a variety of organisms" - also features animations of cells from a variety of organisms showing their architecture, intracellular functionalities and both their normal & abnormal processes
- Health image & video resources
- ImageBank: bioscience images contributed by academics, researchers, Learned Societies, industry & individuals: these can be used for educational purposes
- IMF Videos: from the International Monetary Fund
- Imperial War Museum: photographs, films, videos & sound archives of twentieth & twenty-first century war
- MIT CogNet: videos/lectures, OpenCourseWare, reference books & conference materials - relevant to Computing & Psychology
- NASA GRIN: Great Images in NASA: high quality collection of images of significant historical interest scanned at high resolution in several sizes - collection intended for the media, publishers & the public - you should always reference the copyright holder for any images you use in reports or assignments
- NASA Technical Reports Server (NTRS): includes the NIX Collection of citations, images, films & videos downloaded from the NASA Image eXchange - images are generally available for educational & information purposes but please check the copyright statement relating to each image
- Oxford Art Online: over 100,000 graphics, including full-colour - also a gateway to relevant websites all over the world - previously Grove Art Online
- Oral history (British Library): sound recordings & images of British life, work and families in the twentieth century - covers social issues, disability, ethnicity, health, immigration, politics & religion
- POLIS image & video resources: films, clips, images & film/tv literature for Politics, Languages & International Studies
- Visual Arts Data Service (VADS): over 100,000 images, and learning/teaching resources in art, architecture, design & media - authored & selected by subject specialists and copyright cleared for use in learning, teaching and research in the UK