SPS resources for finding reports, projects & guidelines
Search engines & subject gateways
- Community Care Inform: guidance, case studies & other documents relating to social work with Children / Adults
- British Library: social welfare portal
- Google Scholar: provides access to many unpublished research reports & working papers. Please note: off-campus users: you can access more documents via Google Scholar (GS) by connecting to GS through the library website - or by setting your GS 'Settings/library links' to 'University of Bath'.
- OpenGrey: previously the System for Information on Grey Literature in Europe (SIGLE)
- SCOOP Print Still Matters: discover which UK libraries have print collections of publications issued by parliament, government, devolved assemblies & various administrations
- Social and Behavioural Sciences: topic areas include evaluation of social policy
- Social Policy and Practice: enables you to search simultaneously the following five databases: Social Care Online, AgeInfo, ChildData, Acompline and Planex. The overall focus is on applied research and practice & more than half the references are for grey/unpublished literature including organisations' reports. Accessing documents: if you find a result of interest, click the blue and white 'Links' button to find out if a link is provided to the full document. If a link is not provided (which is often the case with reports), try searching for the document using the following: the Library Catalogue, Google Scholar and Google.
- Social Science Research Network
- UK and International Library Catalogues includes the British Library Catalogue: useful for finding printed reports & books
- GOV.UK: Government website - also links to local government & quangos. Also note: Publications: UK Government departmental, House of Commons & Command Papers
- British Association of Social Workers: includes news & free publications (reports)
- Care Quality Commission
- Department of Health: Social Care - please note the DoH Social Care Bulletin - the most current information is available if you set up an email alert
- Economic and Social Research Council (ESRC): in-depth details of UK social science research projects which have been granted awards by the ESRC: also access to publications & other research activities which are the products of such awards.
- EUROPA Publications: reports & other official documents from the European Union website
- European Trade Union Institute
- Institute of Development Studies (IDS)
- Health: subject gateways & organisations
- Kings Fund: independent health care charity - features blogs written by professionals from a wide range of social/health care backgrounds and publications (free reports)
- Max Planck Project: research papers published by the Max-Planck Project Group covering common/collective goods, law, politics & economics
- Skills for Care: provided by the National Skills Academy for Social Care - wide range of information including innovation, good practice, evidence, impact & standards
- Social Care Elf: develop your current awareness of topics by reading postings and responses from within the academic community
- Social Care Research Impact: "to inspire your thinking and practice in creating impact in the field of social care research"
- Social Policy Research Unit (SPRU): based at the University of York - research projects cover social work/care, health, employment & welare