External and Alumni Membership
External and Alumni memberships are available for a fee from the University Library. However, some applicants may be eligible to access the library as described below:
- Are you a student or member of academic staff at another university? If so, you may not need to apply for external membership (for which you could be charged). Instead, you may be able to join the SCONUL Access scheme for which there is no charge. Joining SCONUL Access would allow you to visit the Library on any day of the year, normally between 9am and 9pm. Depending on your student/staff status, you may also be able to borrow books. To find out more and to apply for SCONUL Access membership via your home institution, please follow the advice given here.
- Visiting for reference-only during weekends and vacations? If so, you do not need to join as an external member. You can visit the Library, normally between 9am and 9pm, on any weekday during the University's vacation and any weekend throughout the whole year. For more information, please refer to general information for visitors. You will be required to sign the visitor's book at the University Reception upon entering the library, so please bring with you a valid form of identification such as a driving licence, passport or similar.
- Do you wish to borrow books or visit the Library at any time and on any day? Unless you are a SCONUL Access visitor with a borrowing allowance, you may wish to apply for External/Alumni membership. This would enable you to borrow up to 5 books at any one time. For more information about applying, please read on:
Please ask at the Main Counter on Level 2 (the Ground Floor) for an application form or write to the Library for further information and advice. New External Membership cards can only be created at the Issue Desk on weekdays between 9am and 4.45pm. Please refer to our Opening hours information, library news and where applicable contact the library in advance of any special journey for this purpose to confirm service availability.
The annual fee for External or Alumni/Graduate membership is currently £150 (including VAT) with the following exceptions:
- Members of the University who have graduated within the last year: membership is free for 12 months from your graduation date on production of, either the letter which is sent to you by the Alumni office confirming your graduate status, or your Degree Certificate.
- Members of University Convocation & Graduates of the University of Bath: the annual fee is £50 (including VAT).