Writing for the web
This is a page with good layout - simple instructions, calls to action, clearly written, and attractively laid out.
- Avoid jargon or explain what it means, e.g. "irreversible encryption (data that has been scrambled for security purposes and cannot be unscrambled)"
- Expand acronyms the first time you use them - e.g. Research Assessment Exercise (RAE)
- When writing numbers, use words for one to ten, numerals for 11 upwards, percentages and money.
- Write short sentences
Avoid passive voice
|Passive voice example||Plain English|
|"Books may be borrowed from the library"||"You can borrow books from the library"|
|"It is recommended that..."||"We recommend that..."|
|"It is preferred that a booked appointment is made"||"We would prefer you to book an appointment"|
Inverted pyramid style
- Start with a summary - the main points of your page
- Then expand on it
- Give more details
- Give peripheral information last