Funded PhD opportunitiesTwo studentships available with the Materials Research Centre.
“I have always felt that the Department has an exceptionally high academic standard and it also provides a really supportive atmosphere for its researchers.”
— Lisa Fitzgerald, PhD student
How do I apply?
Tel: +44 (0) 1225 386330
We carry out advanced and innovative research in a wide range of research areas such as:
- Sustainable energy and the environment
- Aerodynamics and aerospace systems
- Composite and smart materials
- Advanced manufacturing and metrology
- Biomechanics of artificial joints
- Robotics and system dynamics
- Advanced vehicle powertrains.
The majority of our research was rated as being “world-leading or internationally excellent” in the 2008 Research Assessment Exercise. We work closely with industry and most of our research is industrially linked.
Types of research degree
We offer three types of research degree:
- Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) - typically takes three years full-time or five years part-time
- Engineering Doctorate (EngD) – typically takes four years full-time and based mainly in industry
- Master of Philosophy (MPhil) - typically takes two years full-time or four years part-time.
Why choose us?
We provide a high-quality, stimulating and supportive environment for researchers based in a World Heritage city.
Our international reputation for research makes Bath an ideal place to pursue a research degree, whether you want an academic career or to work in industry. We also offer a range of scholarships and bursaries.
All research students attend skills training courses on a variety of subjects, including:
- Research in a commercial environment
- Project management
- Creative thinking and problem solving
- Speed reading
- Making presentations
- Communications skills
You will also have the chance to earn money by undertaking part-time teaching in the Department.