Plans are now underway to remodel the dining room and lounge areas of the Claverton Rooms and to improve access for the disabled to the social space in 6 West South (also known as the UBSA building).
Changes affecting the utilisation of these spaces will take effect from 1 July 2009.
The plan for the Claverton Rooms is as follows:
- The Claverton Rooms will become a general dining area and lounge for all staff and postgraduate students with no membership fee requirement for access
- The bar will be extended to incorporate a deli/coffee bar and the dining area will be extended into the existing lounge area; the seating capacity of the lounge area remains unchanged.
- A second lounge area will be created to provide additional soft seating
- Newspapers and magazines will be provided free of charge in the lounge area
- The Level 4 games area of 2 West will remain accessible and will be open to staff and postgraduate students
- Till layouts will be changed to address queuing problems at peak times
- Catered lunchtime ‘events’ currently held in Claverton Rooms will as far as possible be relocated to the social space in 6 West South
The plan for the 6 West South social space is as follows:
- The space will be designated as social space for use by all staff and all students with no membership fee requirement for access, subject to review in April 2010
- Light refreshments will be available via vending machines
- Staff and students will be welcome to consume their own food and beverages
- Groups/departments/individuals will be able to book the use of the space for specific events or functions through our Hospitality Co-ordinator, Heather Clarke
- The skittle alley will continue to be available and can be booked through the Hospitality Co-ordinator
- Pool tables will continue to be provided in this space
These plans will still provide areas for UBSA and SCR members to socialise and relax with existing or improved catering facilities, but will also provide access to non-commercial social space that our students want. It will also mean that the 6 West South social space in particular will be utilised to a far greater extent than at present.
These changes described above do not prevent the two staff associations (SCR and UBSA) from continuing to operate. Both will still have access to the venues for the events and activities they currently provide for their members.
Other areas available for those bringing packed lunches, in addition to the 6 West South social space include:
- 5W Cyber Cafe Level 3
- Library Reception [V]
- Level 1 [V]
- Students’ Union [V]
- 4E Cyber Café Level 3 [V]
- STV Corridor [V]
- 4 South [V]
[V]= vending machine