Come and join Amy's welcome home celebrations

Golden girl Amy Williams is coming home to Bath next week and she wants the University to be the focal point of her celebrations.

Amy became Britain’s newest sporting hero when she sensationally won gold in the women’s skeleton bob at the Winter Olympics in Vancouver, Canada last weekend.

As a result, the 27-year-old became Team GB’s first individual Olympic Winter Games gold medallist for 30 years, and the country’s first female individual gold medallist for 58 years.

Amy has incredibly strong ties with the University. A local Bath girl, she has studied and based her training here. Her father Ian is a Professor of Chemistry and the Chair of the Natural Sciences Programmes.

So when she arrives back in the country next week she is keen to get home to Bath and share her success with family and friends.

An open top bus ride is planned for lunchtime on Wednesday 3 March starting at Amy’s old school Hayesfield before making its way through the city centre and along Great Pulteney Street. Full details of the route will be available on the Bath Chronicle website.

At 5.30pm the bus will bring Amy and her family to the reception of the Sports Training Village (STV) for a celebratory reception where staff, students and the general public are invited along to greet her arrival and welcome her home.

Vice-Chancellor Professor Glynis Breakwell said: “The whole University, and indeed the city of Bath, can feel very proud of Amy’s fantastic achievement.

“We are delighted that she wants to share her celebrations with the University community and I know she will receive a very warm and richly deserved welcome from us all.”

Staff, students and the general public are invited to line the walkway up to the STV and the main concourse from around 5.15pm in preparation for Amy’s arrival at 5.30pm. She will make her way from the entrance to the Blues Café where there will be a reception for her family, friends, coaches and colleagues.

In preparation for her homecoming next week the University has launched a ‘Book of Congratulations’.

Located at the reception desk in the STV, staff and students are invited to come and sign the book and leave messages of congratulations for Amy.

She will be presented with the book on Wednesday evening. For those who can’t make it to the STV you can also add congratulation comments to this article.

35 Responses to “Come and join Amy's welcome home celebrations”

1. Liam McMurray says:

Congratulations Amy, a fantastic achievement!
    We could hear the celebrations from the Pulteney Arms into the wee hours after your final run, well done!

2. Myra Lee says:

Congratulations Amy. An amazing achievement for Britain, for Bath and for women. So proud of you.
    Watching your smiling face on the podium getting that gold medal made me cry.
    Well done!

Myra Lee

3. Dear Amy

Very many congratulations, we are all so proud of you, a really fantastic achievement.
    You don't know me but I know your Father, and I am also chaplain to Team Bath.
    All best wishes.
    Angela

4. Mahmoud Soliman says:

Congratulations Amy. I am not british but I have been lucky to study my PhD in Bath and under your father's supervision. Great family, well done and all the best!
    Mahmoud Soliman - Egypt

5. Rachel Scully says:

Congratulations, Amy.
    Your skill, determination and humility are an inspiration.
    Enjoy your hours of glory!

6. Brian Schofield says:

Amy

Many, many, many congratulations on achieving this well deserved accolade - an inspiration to all young athletes nationwide and beyond.

Best wishes Brian Schofield UoB

7. Alyson Smith says:

Congratulations Amy

My son is a student at the University of Bath and my daughter Aimee is a past student, Aimee was in Whistler cheering you on when you won the gold medal and it is her GB flag that you were given when celebrating your win, which I think is quite fitting for the occasion.

Well done

8. Faye Lockier says:

A true inspiration to everyone. So emotional to see your win and interviews afterwards. Congrats, please enjoy your great success.

9. From a local sports club training daily at the sports training village, many many sweet sweet congratulations. No.1. Sends shivers down my spine. No.1

10. Emerson Rojas says:

Congratulations Amy...you are another reason to be proud of our university.
    Keep going and I wish you the best... You are the number 1.

11. Well done Amy,
    Very very proud of you. Go Girl!

12. Professor Rosalind Marsh says:

Dear Amy,

Not all my academic colleagues are in favour of elite athletes, since they are generally more interested in the Olympics than their academic work. I, on the other hand, am absolutely delighted that you have won a gold medal (sadly, the only likely gold medal) in the Winter Olympics.
    It's not generally known that I too, when I was young, was a junior "elite athlete", in a very minor way - I played at Junior Wimbledon, and my doubles partner went on to play in Senior Wimbledon (unfortunately, I couldn't go on playing tennis at a high level and do my A-levels properly). Anyway, I never had the physique or the temperament to be a high-level tennis player - I just "used my head to save my legs".

But I am always delighted when my Russian students (and there are two in the first year) are serious sportsmen and women. So very well done, and I hope to meet you, or at least clap you, next Wednesday.

I urge my academic colleagues, within the Department and outside, to be more tolerant/supportive of British athletic achievement, wherever it may be found. I watch Andy Murray avidly, but he still hasn't quite got there, whereas you have!

13. Shweta Ramani says:

Well done Amy on your amazing feat! Although I am an international student from Dubai, your remarkable achievement is truly a great inspiration for all youngsters - be it here in the UK or abroad like me. Enjoy your success.

Best Wishes
    Shweta (UOB BBA 4)

14. Thomas Smith says:

Congratulations Amy!! A true inspiration...

P.S. My sister hopes her Union Jack flag is safe :)

Well Done

15. JF says:

Well done. Congratulations and thank you for making us all proud of the Uni we have.

JF BBA1

16. Mike Edwards says:

Well done Amy!... You are a credit to our University... Indeed a credit to Great Britain!... May you go from strength to Strength...

All the best for the future.....

Mike Edwards....Snr RF Technician(Retired) University of Bath

17. Jane Allan says:

Warm congratulations on your Gold Medal, a marvellous achievement. It's great to be able to say you trained at our university ..........you have made us proud.

Jane Allan, UoB

18. zoe eccleston says:

Well done Amy, your achievement is fantastic, well deserved and will be a huge inspiration to other young aspiring athletes! May this be the start of a long, successful, and happy career for you and all those you inspire.
    Zoe

19. Louise says:

Hey Amy,
    Congratulations on the Gold! I'm looking forward to seeing the open top bus parade. If you have the time it would be great if you could do an interview for URB.
    Enjoy the closing ceremony, it's great to see how much you've inspired people.
    Louise

20. Lucy Perry says:

Congratulations Amy. It's a fantastic achievement and you should be rightfully proud of yourself. It must have taken a lot of hard work to get to where you are now and I'm glad to see it's paid off. You are an inspiration.
    Lucy

21. Rod Angood, Director of BUCS says:

Amy - what a triumph! A golden performance by a glittering person, rightly bringing home a Gold Medal from a competition amongst the worlds very finest. Congratulations - we are proud and you are inspirational. Rod

22. Tony says:

Amy - you have no idea what an inspiration you are for people. Your personal strength, determination and hard work is an example to us all. This achievement is awe-inspiring and as I sat up in the small hours with my ten-year-old to watch you win, your success brought tears of joy to both of us. Wonderful!!

23. Hamish kale says:

well done amy if you do get this message my school Oldfield park juniors school would love you to come and open our new play ship.

please get in contact
    Hamish kale
    thanks

24. Jamie B says:

Congratulations Amy, you have done your country proud, winning at the most prestigious competition on Earth! Enjoy the celebrations in Bath, you've definitely earned them!

25. Kate F says:

You went for gold and got it!!! Fantastic for you, Bath Uni and Hayesfied where you were a pupil and where my eldest went. I bumped into Erica Draisey (Head at Hayesfield) at the train station on Sunday and we were all saying how brilliant it is.

26. Sara Parfett says:

Well Done!!!! truly a great achievement :)

27. laura says:

WELL DONE !! I will be at the uni playing netball when you are there. How amazing to be in the same place as an Olympic gold medalist!!

28. Cathy Flower says:

Well done Amy - it was fantastic. Even better when I watched the re-run with my eyes open - so used to watching people 'nearly making it' so it was a pure to delight to see you win - and by a mile! Enjoy all the celebrations you've earnt it

29. Kelly - Bristol says:

Congratulations & Well done Amy - the whole of the South West and UK are so proud of you.

30. Pete Parker says:

Well i was supposed to be training tonight at STV but I think with the amount of people there it would be a good idea to give training a miss. Congratulations Amy 8 years of hard work has made you the number 1 in the world.

31. Paul Gibbons says:

Well done Amy:¬) You looked fantastic on the tv last night and I am looking forward to seeing you in the news again tonight and hopefully see all of your supporters on the tour around Bath.

Paul

EngD student based in London

32. Christine Bone says:

Amy you're a STAR! An inspiration to us all young and old. Enjoy your achievment, we're all so proud of you.

33. Tom McGee says:

Well done Amy!!! An inspiration to us all here at Bath. Every time I see your picture in the Sports training village I can't help but smile! Really well done.

34. Dylan says:

Great job Amy~we are so proud here in Bath!
    Best wishes!

35. Caroline says:

Well done Amy, it's great to see a British champion at last. Many congratulations, we are all so proud of you.

Bookmark with:

What is this?

We are one of the UK's leading universities with an international reputation for quality research and teaching. Our Mission is to deliver world class research and teaching, educating our graduates to become future leaders and innovators, and benefiting the wider population through our research, enterprise and influence. Our courses are innovative and interdisciplinary and we have an outstanding record of graduate employment.