The University of Bath and the University of Alicante uphold an Institutional Cooperation Agreement that allows both universities to exchange opportunities for the professional development of their academic and administrative staff.
To this effect, we send and receive members of staff from Bath and Alicante to participate in language courses whilst also raising cultural awareness.
We have been running this exchange successfully for the last nine years and colleagues have thoroughly enjoyed the experience. (See comments at the bottom of the page.)
On their return, the majority have continued to develop their language skills through the Spanish courses run by the University. They have also established valuable contacts with colleagues in Alicante.
The selection process for this coming summer is now underway:
What is on offer:
- Free registration for 8 members of staff from Bath to participate in a two-week *intensive Spanish course (15 hours tuition per week. ie 3 hours every morning);
- Free accommodation and breakfast at the Villa Universitaria;
- Free access to the sports and other facilities available at the University of Alicante.
(*Please note that this is a study break and that the expectations of your commitment and dedication to the learning process are high.)
NB This offer is only for full-time members of staff.
In the first instance priority will be given to:
- Full-time, permanent staff that have been working at the University of Bath for at least one year;
- Those who use Spanish in their job or deal with Spanish-speaking students or our students learning Spanish;
- Of those who meet the criteria, the places will be allocated on a ‘first come, first served’ basis. ie the order in which we receive the application forms.
Courses start on 2 July 2012 for all levels.
If you are interested, please download and complete the application form and send it to S.Stanford@bath.ac.uk by Friday 27 April 2012.
Comments from previous participants:
“I loved learning Spanish, hearing Spanish all round me, meeting people from other departments at the University of Bath, exploring Alicante, learning about Spanish culture and being fortunate enough to have such an unusual and memorable experience.”
“It was a fantastic two weeks. It was great to be a student and see things from that perspective for a change. It was great to meet people from other sections of the University. It was great to be in sunny, warm Alicante. And it was great to have such a total and refreshing break.”
“Accommodation was excellent. The room was spacious and cleaned every day. Breakfast was not exciting but perfectly adequate. I enjoyed the outdoor swimming pool. Close enough to the University campus and an easy bus ride into Alicante.”