The following items were discussed at the recent meeting of Council:
- Masterplan: Council approved a revised version of the Masterplan for the University 2009–2026 (which has been publicised on the University’s Internal Homepage). There were five changes to the version originally approved by Council:
* timeline revised from 2010-2020 to 2020-2026 to align with B&NES Core Strategy;
* presentation in terms of development zones rather than prescribed shapes of future buildings to provide flexibility;
* removal of proposal for a new access road between 2 and 4 East joining the underdeck roadway and linking with a widening of the fire road to the south of 2 East/4 East/8 East;
* removal of a proposal to close the road to the east of the Founders Hall and the Department of Estates and create a new main roadway to the west of Marlborough and Solsbury Court. The revised version retains existing vehicle routes;
* retention of tennis courts and removal of the proposal to introduce car parking along Norwood Avenue.
- Effectiveness Review of Council: Council considered the findings of the review of its effectiveness conducted by the Effectiveness Review Group.
The principal finding was that Council can continue to be assured of its effectiveness having regard to compliance with the Committee of University Chairs (CUC) Governance Code of Practice, assessment of four key effectiveness factors identified by the CUC/Leadership Foundation for Higher Education (LFHE) Framework, Council’s Statement of Primary Responsibilities and other relevant good practice.
The Review Group recognised that the Council operates successfully and compares favourably to practice elsewhere within the sector. Its recommendations were therefore made in this context and were designed to finesse and make incremental enhancements to arrangements which have already proved to be highly effective for the University. The recommendations of the Group were approved by Council.
- Heads of Department: Council made the following appointments:
* Professor Ivan Graham, Department of Mathematical Sciences, 1 August 2012 to 31 July 2015
* Professor Charles Lees, Department of Politics, Languages & International Studies, 1 September 2012 to 31 July 2015
- Annual Report of Health, Safety & Environment Unit: The Annual Report of the Health, Safety & Environment Unit was noted.