Changes to visa requirements for international students

Work rights

UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI) have recently announced changes to work rights for Further Education students only. Rights to Work have NOT changed for students in Higher Education.

However, there have been changes to work rights for dependants of Tier 4 Higher Education students.   From the autumn, and when a new visa application is made and granted, Tier 4 dependents will be restricted to taking part-time or full-time “skilled” work and not a low or unskilled job.

Funds required when students extend their visas

Currently, students who have been studying in the UK for six months or more have been able to show just two months of living expenses as financial evidence to extend a Tier 4 visa.  From 12 November, a student making an application to extend a Tier 4 visa will no longer benefit from this 'established presence'.

Students will now be required to show living expenses for each month that they extend, up to nine months. Therefore a student applying to extend for one year will need to show sufficient funds to cover nine months of living expenses.  This may mean that students will need to show that they have significantly more money in their bank account, particularly if they have dependants.

The changes to established presence do NOT apply to students applying for the Doctorate Extension Scheme.

Changes to time limits

There have also been some changes to the length of time students can study in the UK and we are currently establishing the detail of this with UKVI and will then be in touch with those potentially affected and with their departments.

For details of these changes, please see:

Bookmark with:

What is this?