Key questions for the aims of PARNASSUS are:
- What are the main damaging environmental effects on cultural heritage?
- How the causes of damage or material change to cultural heritage can be better understood?
- When is material change acceptable and damage unacceptable?
- What adaptation measures can be taken?
- Understand and quantify impacts of flooding and driving rain due to climate change on the structural integrity and material properties of historic buildings and archaeological sites;
- Evaluate resilience and adaptation measures able to counteract and prevent adverse effects;
- Disseminate findings to conservation practitioners via guidance documents and seminars.
- Development of a methodology that can robustly simulate the effect of WDR and flooding from the territorial scale to the individual building;
- Correlation of exposure, building typology and damage effects through the collection of field survey, local base knowledge and historical records;
- Quantification of extreme WDR and flooding scenarios using uncertainty modelling applied to available meteorological data;
- Development of use of laser scanning to provide data visualization, computational fluid dynamics and finite element models for improved interpretation process;
- Definition of damage criteria in masonry due to the effects of freeze-thaw action;
- Introduction of a test standard for weather tightness of structural walls;
- Drawing up specifications for a reliable monitoring system for assessment of effects of weathering actions on decay;
- Characterisation of resilience and adaptation techniques;
- Evaluation of efficiency and effectiveness of specific techniques.
Tasks for the implementation of the project are organised in the following WORK PACKAGES:
- WP1 Management
- WP2 Understanding the sites
- WP3 Data acquisition and interpretation
- WP4 Models development and validation
- WP5 Adaptation measures development and validation
- WP6 Generalization of results
- WP7 Dissemination
The project is case-based and the chosen CASE-STUDY AREAS include:
- Tewkesbury, scheduled area near the Abbey;
- Deerhurst, archaeological sites;
- Cottown, Perthshire, cob walls;
- Winchester Cathedral and Winchester College buildings, scheduled area;
- York, Lendal Bridge towers and Eastern riverbank;
- Bodiam Castle.