Dr Aurélien Mondon
Senior Lecturer in French and comparative politics working on racism, populism, the far right and the crisis of democracy
Senior Lecturer in French and comparative politics
Director of Learning and TeachingPhD
1 West North 2.31
Tel: +44 (0) 1225 38 6258
- Member of the research group 'Politics beyond the mainstream' (University of Bath)
- Co-convenor of the PSA French Politics subgroup
- Honorary treasurer of the Association for the Study of Modern and Contemporary France
European reactions to the UK election result
Dr Mondon joined the Department in September 2012. He comes from an interdisciplinary background focusing on discourse analysis, politics and history, as well as French and Australian studies.
Dr Mondon currently works on various project related to racism and right-wing populism, and their impact on liberal democracy.
His various academic and media contributions can be found on his blog.
Working primarily in the recent mainstreaming of the extreme right, and the impact of neo-racist and right-wing populist discourse on liberal democracies, Dr Mondon's research interests include:
- Racism, 'neo-racism' and Islamophobias in elite discourse
- Right-wing populism and the people as a ‘threat’ to democracy
- The extreme and radical rights and their influence on mainstream politics (historical and contemporary)
- French and Australian modern and contemporary history and politics
- The relationship between voting and democracy
- Contemporary forms of Islamophobias (with Dr Aaron Winter, UEL)
- Abstention, right-wing populism and the crisis of democracy
- Immunisation or Contamination? The Extreme Right in Australia (with Andy Fleming)
- The mainstreaming of extreme right discourse
- PL10871: 1789-1914: Revolutions!
- PL30873 - Liberté, Egalité, Fraternité
- PL30880 - The rise of the extreme right: from the margins to the mainstream
- PL30865 - L'Extreme Droite en France
Mondon, A., 2016. The irresistible rise of the Front National - Populism and the mainstreaming of the extreme right. In: Report by the PRIO Cyprus Centre. PRIO.
Mondon, A., 2015. Populism, the people and the illusion of democracy:the Front National and UKIP in a comparative context. French Politics, 13 (2), 141–156.
Mondon, A., 2015. UKIP, from a single issue party to the radical right: real symptom, wrong diagnosis. TOR - The Open Review of Social Sciences, 1 (1), pp. 25-27.
Mondon, A., 2015. The French secular hypocrisy:the extreme right, the Republic and the battle for hegemony. Patterns of Prejudice, 49 (4), pp. 392-413.
Mondon, A., 2014. The Front National in the twenty-first century:From pariah to republican democratic contender. Modern and Contemporary France, 22 (3), pp. 301-320.
Mondon, A., 2013. Nicolas Sarkozy's legitimization of the Front National: background and perspectives. Patterns of Prejudice, 47 (1), pp. 22-40.
Badiou, A., Ling, A. and Mondon, A., 2009. Translation of Alain Badiou 'Cinema as a democratic emblem'. Parrhesia, 6, pp. 1-6.
Mondon, A., 2015. Hollande declaring war will not rid Europe of terror. The Conversation
Mondon, A., 2015. Ne tombons pas dans le piège de peur et d’exclusion tendu par Daech. The Conversation
Mondon, A., 2015. Paris terror attacks:France now faces fight against fear and exclusion. The Conversation
Mondon, A., 2015. Divided we stand:nationalism on the march across Europe. The Conversation
Mondon, A., 2015. Could the Le Pen family feud be a cunning political ploy? The Conversation
Mondon, A., 2014. WIEVIORKA, Michel Le Front national entre extrémisme, populisme et démocratie Paris: Les Éditions de la Maison des sciences de l'homme, 2013 88 pp., 9.00€, ISBN: 978-2-7351-1620-1. Modern and Contemporary France
Mondon, A. and Startin, N., 2013. Far-right earthquake could be bigger than 2002 for France. The Conversation
Mondon, A., 2013. French reactionary hypocrisy: the hijab, gay marriage and secularism. Open Democracy
Mondon, A., 2012. France 2012:Sarkozy’s battle with the right hands Hollande the presidency. The Conversation
Mondon, A., 2012. France 2012:Sarkozy may be doomed, but Hollande faces an unenviable challenge. The Conversation
Mondon, A., 2012. The french election:The advanced symptoms of a sick democracy. Arena Magazine