Dr Maria Garcia
Director of Studies for:
- MA International Relations
- MA International security
- MA International Relations and European Politics
1 West North 2.19
Tel: +44 (0) 1225 38 5020
- UACES Committee Member
- IPSA Research Committee 40- New World Order Chair
- UACES Research Network on EU-China Relations
Addressing how free trade agreements are reshaping economic and social rules and governance throughout the globe.
Prior to joining Bath in 2014, I was a Marie Curie International Fellow at the NCRE, University of Canterbury (New Zealand) and the University of Nottingham. During this time I conducted research on the various free trade agreement strategies of global economic powers in the region, and the effects of strategic competition on their strategies.
Previously, I lectured at Birkbeck College, London and the University of Nottingham. I have been also been a visiting fellow at ANUCES, Australian National University, Monash University in Melbourne, the University of Salzburg and ULB in Brussels.
My current projects include a book on the divergent free trade agreement strategies of large (China, USA, EU) and small economies (Singapore, Chile, New Zealand) in Asia-Pacific and their effects on the development of future economic governance in the region.
Alongside Annick Masselot of the University of Canterbury, I am investigating Asian resistance to European norm promotion through free trade agreements.
- International trade and economic governance
- EU-USA trade negotiations (TTIP) and Transpacific Partnership negotiations (TPP)
- EU-Asia, EU-China, EU-Australasia and EU-Latin America Relations
- Regional integration and inter-regionalism
- Societal impacts of trade agreements/ Values and trade
- International Political Economy
- Asia Pacific Free Trade Agremeents (ERC)
- ESRC Seminar Series on Economic Governance and Integration through Free Trade Agreements, GIFTA (with S. Khorana, School of Management, University of Keele)
- PL10877: International Political Economy
- PL30879: Modern Silk Routes: International Trade in a Global Economy
- PL30895: Meltdowns, conflicts and resistance: capitalism in flux and shifts in economic governance
Garcia, M., 2014. The EU, China and the trade in 'green' technologies:Cooperation and conflict. In: Deese, D., ed. Handbook of the International Political Economy of Trade. Cheltenham, U. K.: Edward Elgar, pp. 322-348. (Handbook of Research on International Political Economy)
Garcia, M. and Masselot, A., 2015. EU-Asia Free Trade Agreements as tools for social norm/legislation transfer. Asia Europe Journal, 13 (3), pp. 241-252.
Khorana, S. and Garcia, M., 2014. Procurement Liberalization Diffusion in EU Agreements:Signalling Stewardship? Journal of World Trade, 48 (3), pp. 481-500.
Khorana, S. and Garcia, M., 2013. European Union-India trade negotiations:One step forward, one back? Journal of Common Market Studies, 51 (4), pp. 684-700.
Garcia, M., 2013. From idealism to realism in the EU’s trade negotiation strategy. Journal of Contemporary European Research, 9 (4).
Garcia, M., 2013. Resources and trade:Linking the Pacific through bilateral free trade agreements (FTA). Journal of World Trade, 47 (2), pp. 329-357.
Garcia, M., 2012. Competitive Fears:The EU, US and the Free Trade Agreements in East Asia. EU External Affairs Review, II, pp. 59-71.
Garcia, M. J., 2012. Free trade agreements in Asia:Economic imperatives or footholds for external relevance? Cuadernos Europeos de Deusto, 2012 (47), pp. 73-100.
Garcia, M., 2012. From bottom of the pyramid to top priority:Explaining Asia in the EU’s Free Trade Agreement (FTA) strategy. Australia and New Zealand Journal of European Studies, 4 (1), p. 42.
Garcia, M., 2012. The European Union and Latin America:‘Transformative power Europe’ versus the realities of economic interests. Cambridge Review of International Affairs
Garcia, M., 2011. Incidents along the path:Understanding the rationale behind the EU-Chile association agreement. JCMS: Journal of Common Market Studies, 49 (3), pp. 501-524.
Garcia, M., 2010. Fears and strategies:The EU, China and their free trade agreements in East Asia. Journal of Contemporary European Research, 6 (4).
Garcia, M., 2013. American and European Competing Strategies in Free Trade Agreements in the Asia-Pacific. Other. ANU Centre for European Studies. (ANU Centre for European Studies Briefing Paper Series; 4/2)
Conference or Workshop Items
Garcia, M. and Masselot, A., 2015. The value of gender equality in the EU-Asian trade policy:an assessment of the EU's ability to implement its own legal obligations. Springer, pp. 191-209. (United Nations University Series on Regionalism; 8)