Dr Nina Parish
Senior Lecturer in French Studies
1 West North 2.23
Tel: +44 (0) 1225 38 3250
Dr Parish currently co-supervises two PhD students:
- Simone Schröder at the University of Bath, who is working on the nature essay
- Chelsea Nolen at the University of Oxford, who is working on French slam poetry.
She is happy to supervise PhD students on the following subjects:
- Twentieth and twenty-first-century French literature and the visual arts and in particular modernism, the avant-gardes, modern and contemporary poetry, digital practice and the artists book.
- Representing the migrant experience and multilingualism within the museum space
Dr Nina Parish is an expert on the interaction between text and image in the field of modern and contemporary French Studies. She has published widely on this subject, in particular, on the poet and visual artist, Henri Michaux. More recently she has started research on representations of the migrant experience and multilingualism within the museum space. This research actively informs the teaching that she carries out within the department.
Dr Parish obtained her PhD from Royal Holloway, University of London, where she also did her undergraduate degree in French and European Studies. Before coming to Bath, she taught at Royal Holloway and Goldsmiths College, University of London, was a lectrice and maître de langue at the Université Paris VII Denis Diderot and completed postgraduate studies (Maîtrise, DEA) at the Université de Provence. She is the Director of Studies for Programmes in Modern Languages and European Studies.
She co-organised an AHRC-funded international network from 2013 to 2015, whose activities included study days and open-access events on contemporary French poetry and its interdisciplinary connections.
- Twentieth and twenty-first-century French literature and the visual arts and in particular modernism, the avant-gardes, modern and contemporary poetry (including digital practice) and the artists book
- Interdisciplinary studies, with a special emphasis on text and image
- Representing the migrant experience within the museum space
- PL10774: La France des années 1930 à 1981
- PL10781: 1789-1914: Revolutions in the long nineteenth century
- PL20872: La France et le monde, la France dans le monde
- PL30623: French written and spoken language 4
- PL30886: 'Aux armes etc.' - La France en chansons
- PL30891: European film
- PL30887: Politique et esthétique: les avant-gardes européennes
- PL30108 Politically Committed European Culture
Azerad, H., Kelly, M., Parish, N. L. and Wagstaff, E., 2013. Chantiers du poème:Prémisses et pratiques de la création poétique moderne et contemporaine. Peter Lang. (Modern French Identities; 104)
O'Reilly, C. and Parish, N., 2015. Telling migrant stories in museums in Australia:does the community gallery still have a role to play? Museum Management and Curatorship, 30 (4), pp. 296-313.
Parish, N., 2012. From radio to the internet:Italian futurism, new technologies and the persistence of the book. International Yearbook of Futurism Studies, 2 (1), pp. 378-396.
Parish, N., 2012. A textless title: the mythical status of Blaise Cendrars' La Légende de Novgorode. Journal of European Studies, 42 (1), pp. 22-33.
Parish, N., 2008. Between text and image, east and west:Henri Michaux's signs and Christian Dotremont's 'Logogrammes'. Review of Literatures of the European Union, 8, pp. 67-80.
Parish, N., 2008. Mediating the creative act via word and image. The case of Henri Michaux, a double artist. Letteratura & Arte, 6, pp. 125-133.
Parish, N., 2006. Le corps et le mouvement dans les livres composés de signes d'Henri Michaux. Textyles (Revue des lettres belges de langue française)
Conference or Workshop Items
Parish, N., 2013. Portraits and Neologisms: Understanding the Visual in Henri Michaux's 'Voyage en Grande Garabagne'. Cardiff: University of Wales Press, pp. 47-62. (Studies in Visual Culture)
Parish, N., 2013. Poésie et technologie: les transformations numériques de l’espace poétique contemporain. Oxford: Peter Lang, pp. 213-227. (Modern French identities; 104)
Parish, N., 2012. Lire le visuel dans 'Voyage en Grande Garabagne: Une approche interdisciplinaire. Bologna: Clueb, pp. 7-25.
Parish, N., 2011. Pour faire un livre dadaïste: Dada Experimentation with Book Form. Amsterdam: Rodopi. (Avantgarde Critical Studies)
Parish, N., 2007. L'imaginaire oriental: Les formes et les fonctions des caractères chinois dans l'expérimentation des signes d'Henri Michaux. Paris: L'Harmattan, 227--236. (Structures et pouvoirs des imaginaires)
Parish, N., 2004. Henri Michaux: Destruction of the Book Form and Creation of the Book-Object. Amsterdam: Rodopi, 19--36. (Faux titre)
, 2012. Poetic practice and the practice of poetics in French since 1945. [Non-academic press]