Dr Jon Hunt Director, Research and Innovation Services
Responsible for leading the University’s Research and Innovations Services, helping position the University for future success in a competitive environment.
Dr Jon Hunt joined the University in 2005 and has been promoted several times. He is an expert in research development, project management and team leadership.
He is responsible for:
- grant submissions, acceptance and finance
- large and strategic grants
- research project management
- industrial partnerships
- research commercialisation
- research and commercialisation contracts
- enterprise development
- the Innovation Centre
As Director of RIS, Jon has:
- worked on a £50 million project to establish a new research and development facility at the Bristol and Bath Science Park
- built relationships with research and innovation offices, industrial partners, public funders and government departments
- secured large research and innovation grant proposals, including a £3.4 million Knowledge Transfer Account
- created and implemented strategies to increase research awards, including from the European Commission
- improved processes for research and commercialisation contracts
- Chair of the West of England European Structural Investment Fund Committee
Jon was a Member of the Council of the Association for University Research and Industry Links (AURIL) from 2013 to 2015.
He has worked for the Royal Society, the Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council (EPSRC), and as a business analyst. Before that he was a chemist, researching liquid crystals.
Jon has a PhD in chemistry. This was a Collaborative Awards in Science and Engineering [CASE] studentship with Merck, a leading science and technology company in healthcare, life science and performance materials. Before this, he did a degree, which included a year at BP Chemicals.