Professor Tim Ibell FREng, CEng, BSc(Eng), PhD, FIStructE, FICE, FHEA Professor of Civil Engineering
Tim Ibell Member of the BRE Centre for Innovative Construction Materials (BRE CICM). His research focuses on novel construction of concrete structures.
- Senator and Councillor at the University
- Member of the BRE Centre for Innovative Construction Materials (BRE CICM)
- Member of the EPSRC-funded facility, the HIVE
- Fellow of the Royal Academy of Engineering
- Associate Editor of Structures
- Editorial Board member of Structural Concrete
- Structural behaviour and retrofit of concrete bridges and structures.
- Realistic structural assessment of existing concrete bridges.
- Leads a team of researchers looking at the use of fibre-reinforced polymers to reinforce and/or strengthen concrete structures.
- Leads research into fabric-formed concrete structures in which beautiful, structurally-efficient concrete forms are possible.
This person is available to supervise research degree projects
After graduating, Tim spent two years in industry before completing postdoctoral research at the University of Cambridge. He joined the Department of Architecture & Civil Engineering at the University of Bath in 1997.
In 2002, Tim spent a year in the United States on a Fulbright Distinguished Scholar Award.
He was promoted to Professor in 2003 and held the role of Head of Department from 2005 to 2008, and again from 2010 to 2013. Tim was Associate Dean (Graduate Studies) from 2008 to 2013 before taking up the role of Associate Dean (Research) until 2017.
- BSc(Eng) in Civil Engineering, University of Cape Town, 1988
- PhD in Structural Engineering, University of Cambridge, 1992