“Our reputation is founded on the quality of our teaching and our longstanding record of cutting-edge, theoretically-informed research in applied aspects of psychology.”
— Professor Bas Verplanken
Head of Department
Our Department is world-renowned for its excellence in both teaching and research. We have 26 academic staff and almost 300 undergraduates as well as a thriving postgraduate community.
We have been recently ranked:
- 3rd in the Complete University Guide (in association with The Independent)
- 4th in the Times Good University Guide
- 4th in the Sunday Times University Guide
- 5th in the Times Higher Education league table
- 4th in the Guardian league table
The teaching team is enthusiastic and approachable, and students are welcome to get involved in our lively research environment and open seminars.
We offer the following postgraduate programmes:
- MSc Health Psychology
- MRes Psychology
- MRes Environment, Energy and Resilience
- Doctorate in Clinical Psychology
- Psychology MPhil and PhD
We have a distinctive research profile and a long-standing record of cutting-edge, theoretically-informed research in applied aspects of psychology.
We organise a series of seminars during term time.
Our research themes are:
- Clinical Psychology
- Cognition, Affective Science & Technology Laboratories (CASTL)
- Health Psychology
- Social & Cultural Psychology
In the Research Assessment Exercise (RAE 2008), over half our staff were affiliated with research areas ranked in the top five across the country.
Continuing Professional Development
We also offer some Continuing Professional Development courses in Evidence Based Practice.