Archiving or disposing of non-digital data

Just as with digital data, you must register any non-digital data that underlie your published findings. When you no longer need the data for your current work, you should either dispose of them or archive them properly.

Selecting non-digital data for retention or disposal

For the most part, the same principles apply for non-digital data as for digital data; see our guide to appraising and selecting data.

In the special case that you have both non-digital and digitised versions of the same data, you have an additional decision: whether to retain one while disposing of the other. You should normally retain the non-digital original as the version of record. If, however, you have digitised your data according to a documented procedure, performed systematic quality control, and can back this up with a log of who did what at what time, you can retain the digital copy and dispose of the non-digital original.

Disposing of non-digital data

Small quantities of non-confidential paper records can be disposed of in the paper recycling bins provided by the University.

Paper-based confidential data can be disposed of using the University's confidential paper waste disposal service. This service can also advise on the secure disposal of CDs, DVDs or other media.

If you need to dispose of large quantities of paper or storage media, please contact Waste and Recycling Services.

Archiving non-digital data

A limited amount of space is available in the University Records Centre for storing non-digital data. When depositing materials, you will need to pack them in an archival standard box or boxes and sign a records transfer form for each box. For more information, contact the University Records Manager.

When registering the data in Pure, under 'Data availability' fill out the section marked 'locally-held data'. Describe the non-digital data, where they will be kept, how they may be accessed, and the medium on which they are recorded (e.g. paper). This information should carry over into the corresponding record in the University of Bath Research Data Archive; you should find it on the 'Upload' screen under 'Data held outside the archive'.