Duration: MSc and PhD full time over 4 years combined with 75% of time working in industry
Application deadline: There is one entry point in the academic year which is October.
Entry requirements: We normally require a student to have a first or upper second class honours degree or equivalent qualifications in a relevant subject.
Language requirements: IELTS 7.0 or equivalent
EngD in Digital Entertainment
We offer an opportunity to gain a research degree while working in one of the UK's many games, visual effects, animation or other digital media companies.
The programme leads to an Engineering Doctorate, equivalent to a PhD but with lots of practical experience and industry know-how. You will spend one year training and then three years in the research arm of a company.
The EngD in Digital Entertainment is run by the national Centre for Digital Entertainment (CDE), a collaboration between the University of Bath, Bournemouth University. It creates innovative funded research and development projects for the games, animation, VFX, simulation and cultural industries.
At the CDE we embed doctoral researchers into companies to work on R&D projects to support the growth of the UK economy.
Why study Digital Entertainment with us?
- The EngD in Digital Entertainment is run by the Centre for Digital Entertainment (CDE), a joint collaboration between Bath and Bournemouth University's National Centre for Computer Animation.
- Included in the package are some fabulous benefits, such as international conference attendance, professional skills training and opportunities to network with all our partner companies.
- LAN and WAN, state-of-the-art Digital Media lab, HCI laboratory and audio laboratory.
- The Centre for Digital Entertainment works with multi-nationals and new start-ups; platinum brands such as Disney, Double Negative, BBC and Electronic Arts, and innovative companies such as Wonky Films, Amuzo and ROLI Labs.
- Funding is likely to be available for home/EU students.
What will I learn?
Our aim is to set you up in your future career, giving you a greatly enhanced CV and a foot in the door of any of our great companies. We work with the student cohort as a whole, so you can build your personal networks.
Furthermore the EngD scheme aims to
- provide you with experience of rigorous, leading-edge research in a business context;
- develop competencies which equip you for a range of roles in industry;
- provide a mechanism and framework for high-quality collaboration between academic groups and a range of companies;
- contribute to the body of knowledge on a particular technical discipline, industrial sector or multidisciplinary theme.
Engineering Doctorate (EngD) - The EngD is a four-year postgraduate award intended for the UK's leading research engineers who want a high-flying career in industry. It is a radical alternative to the traditional PhD, being better suited to the needs of industry, and providing a more vocationally oriented doctorate in engineering. You will undertake one year of training and three years of research with a company.
Games VFX and animation industries.