Council Appeals Committee
The Council Appeals Committee is a Committee of Council responsible for hearing appeals from students who have been expelled from the University by Senate in accordance with Section 19.32 of the Statutes. The decision of the Committee is final.
Secretary to the Committee: If you would like further information about the Council Appeals Committee, please contact Angela Pater, ext 3075.
The terms of office expire on 31st July in the year stated.
|Dr M Hipkins||Member of Council, elected by Council||2017|
|Ms A Goodman||Member of Council, elected by Council||2019|
|Baroness J Royall||Member of Council, elected by Council||2018|
|Dr N Parish||Member of Council & Senate, elected by Council||2017|
|Dr S Wharton||Member of Council & Senate, elected by Council||2019|
|Professor T Ibell||Member of Council & Senate, elected by Council||2018|
- No person who is a member of the Disciplinary Committee of Senate, or the Senate Appeals Committee, may serve on the Council Appeals Committee.
The following Officer routinely attends meetings of the Committee: Mr. M. Humphriss, University Secretary.
Terms of Reference
Approved by Privy Council 1966, Revised by Council 25th June 1971.
A student whom, in accordance with Section 19.32 of the Statutes, it is proposed should be expelled from the University may appeal to the Council Appeals Committee, which shall hear the student in person and the decision of which shall be final. (Section 27.2 of the Statutes refers.) The Council Appeals Committee may ratify or revoke the proposal to expel the student. (Section 27.5(ii) of the Statutes refers.)
- Procedure for hearing: See Section 27 of the Statutes, Regulations 7 and 8, Council Standing Order 20 (approved by Council in February 1974, revised 26th June 1998, and 22nd October 2009).
- Appointment of Chair: See Council Standing Order 20(v).
- Co-option: See Council Standing Orders 16(iv) and 16(v).
- Alternates: See Council Standing Order 17(iii) to (vi).
- Quorum: One third of the membership (Council Standing Order 16(vi)).
- Rules for voting: See Council Standing Order 20(xx).
- Minutes: Submitted to Council.