The Nominations Committee is responsible for considering nominations for membership of Council and its Committees (including the key roles of Pro-Chancellor, Treasurer, Chair and Vice-Chair of Council), members of Court appointed by Council and representation of the University on a number of external bodies.
Secretary to the Committee: If you would like further information about the Nominations Committee, please contact Angela Pater, ext 3075.
The terms of office expire on 31st July in the year stated.
|Name||Position||Term of Office|
|Mr T Sheppard||Chair, Chair of Council||ex-officio|
|Professor Dame Glynis Breakwell||President and Vice-Chancellor||ex-officio|
|Dr A Salo||Chair of Academic Assembly||ex-officio|
|Professor V Hope Hailey||Senior Member of Academic Staff, appointed by Chair||2017|
|Mr P Troughton||Lay Member of Council, elected by Council||2018|
|Baroness J Royall||Lay Member of Council, elected by Council||2017|
|Mrs C Mealing-Jones||Lay Member of Council, elected by Council||2019|
|Professor T Ibell||Staff Member of Council, elected by Council||2017|
The following Officer routinely attends meetings of the Committee, Mr. M. Humphriss.
Note: Appointed and elected members are not eligible to continue as members until one year has elapsed from the date of completion of their term of membership (Council, 27th November 1998).
Terms of Reference
Approved by Council 7th July 1995, Revised by Council 26th June 1998 and 13th May 2005.
- To consider nominations for appointed members of Council and to make recommendations to Council. The Committee will pay regard to the balance of membership on Council and the needs of the University
- To consider nominations for Pro-Chancellors* and Treasurer of the University and the Chair and Vice-Chair of Council to make recommendations to Council
- To consider nominations for members of Court, to be appointed to Court by the Council. (Section 13.1(e)(ii) of the Statutes provides for Council to appoint up to 24 members of Court, to serve for three years. The Nominations Committee will put forward up to eight names each year)
- To recommend to Council members to be appointed to serve on the Audit Committee
- To consider nominations for non-members of Council to be co-opted to serve on Council Committees by Council.
Under delegated authority from Council:
- To fill any vacancy on a Council Committee for which no nomination is received
- To appoint Council representatives on external and internal bodies.
* The appointment of Pro-Chancellors is made by Court on the recommendation of Council.
- Appointment of Chair: Chair of Council (ex-officio)
- Alternates: Council Standing Order 17(iii) to (vi)
- Quorum: One third of the membership (Council Standing Order 16(vi))
- Rules for voting: None specified
- Minutes: Submitted to Council.