University Ventures Board
The University Ventures Board is responsible for approving arrangements for the commercialisation of University Intellectual Property.
Secretary to the Board: If you would like further information about the work of the University Ventures Board, or if you would like to submit an agenda item for consideration, please contact Mark Pender, ext 5398.
Terms of office expire on 31st July in the year stated.
|Name||Position||Term of Office|
|Professor Dame Glynis Breakwell (Chair)||President and Vice-Chancellor||
|Professor J Knight||Pro- Vice-Chancellor (Research)||
|Mr M Farmer||Appointed by Council||
|Vacancy||Appointed by Council||
|Dr W Barton||Appointed by Council||
|Dr C Jones||Appointed by Council||2019*|
|Mr R Whorrod||Appointed by Council||2019|
|Vacancy||Appointed by Council||2021|
* This member is appointed by Council on the recommendation of the Nominations Committee. The appointee is not a member of the University and does not have to be a member of Council. The Nominations Committee will take account of the need for venture capitalist experience within the Board. The term of office is up to five years renewable.
|Mrs Diane Aderyn||Director of Finance and Commercial Services|
|Mr Mark Humphriss||University Secretary|
|Dr Jon Hunt||Director of Research Development and Support|
|Mr Mark Pender||Secretary|
Terms of Reference
Approved by Council 5th July 2007, Revised 3rd July 2008, 16th May 2013.
- (a) to consider and approve, on behalf of the University, the arrangements for commercialisation of university intellectual property where the value of the intellectual property is expected to exceed £250,000;
- (b) to act as a supervisory board in overseeing the University's interests, purchased from University Challenge Funds (UCF) monies in companies and in considering all future investments from available UCF cash.
- (c) to support the acceleration of exploitation opportunities for university intellectual assets which have significant economic and social impact.
- Membership and Appointment of Chair: The Vice-Chancellor is Chair of the Board. The Membership of the Board is approved by Council
- Co-option: See Council Standing Orders 16(iv) and 16(v)
- Alternates: Not permitted (Council Standing Order 17(iv))
- Quorum: One third of the membership (Council Standing Order 16(vi))
- Minutes: To Council.