Learning, Teaching & Quality Committee
The Learning, Teaching and Quality Committee is responsible to Senate for the maintenance of high academic standards and the development and enhancement of an excellent taught student learning experience.
Secretary to the Committee: If you would like further information about the Learning, Teaching and Quality Committee, please contact Sarah Ibbitson, ext 3491.
Terms of office expire on 31st July in the year stated.
|Professor P Lambert||Chair, Pro-Vice-Chancellor (Learning and Teaching)||
|Dr A Heath||One Associate Dean nominated by the Dean of Engineering and Design||
|Dr C Wilson||One Associate Dean nominated by the Dean of Humanities and Social Sciences||
|Dr A Hayes||One Associate Dean nominated by the Dean of Science||
|Dr P Cooper||Head of Learning and Teaching, School of Management||
|Mr B Davies||One SU Officer nominated by the Students' Union||
|Ms L Woodcock||One SU Officer nominated by the Students' Union||
|Professor B Crittenden||One current or former Director of Studies/Director of Teaching from the Faculty of Engineering and Design nominated by the Dean of Engineering and Design||
|Dr R Joiner||One current or former Director of Studies/Director of Teaching from the Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences nominated by the Dean of Humanities and Social Sciences||
|Dr F Laughton||One current or former Director of Studies/Director of Teaching from the Faculty of Science nominated by the Dean of Science||
|Professor N Kinnie||One current or former Director of Studies/Director of Teaching from the School of Management||
|Professor C Budd||One National Teaching Fellow employed by the University nominated by the Pro-Vice-Chancellor (Learning and Teaching)||
The following Officers routinely attend meetings of the Committee:
|Mr A Lee||Director of Computing Services|
|Ms K Robinson||Librarian|
|Dr F Bisset||Acting Head of Learning Partnerships|
|Dr J Harris||Director of the Academic Registry|
|Vacant||Director of Learning and Teaching Enhancement|
|Mrs G Eggleston||Head of Student Learning Experience and Quality|
|Ms K Anagnostopoulou||Head of E-Learning|
|Dr H King||Head of Academic Staff Development|
|Ms M Ward Goodbody||Director, Academic Skills Centre|
|Miss C Dangerfield||Executive Assistant (Learning & Teaching)|
|Mrs W Hopkins||Quality Enhancement Officer|
|Miss A Young||Representation and Engagement Manager|
Terms of Reference
Approved by Senate 9th June 2010, Revised by Senate 8th June 2011, Revised by Senate 22nd February 2012, 16th October 2013.
- To support development of the University’s Education Strategy for approval by Senate and to be responsible for overseeing implementation of the Strategy. The Committee will promote innovation and good practice in learning, teaching and assessment (including the allocation and monitoring of the University’s Teaching Development Fund) and ensure effective student engagement in the development and enhancement of the student learning experience.
- To oversee the University’s quality assurance and enhancement framework including approval of revisions to the Quality Assurance Code of Practice, New Framework for Assessment, Assessment Regulations and credit framework as delegated by Senate.
- To formulate new policies and initiatives in response to regional, national and international developments in learning, teaching and assessment (including e-learning and e-assessment initiatives), quality assurance and enhancement practice, public information and student engagement, for approval by Senate.
- To develop and promote initiatives which further align quality assurance and enhancement processes and underpin the institutional approach to quality management, centred on reliance on sound academic principles in the design and delivery of learning and teaching, the importance of the informed student voice and rigorous peer review.
- To consider and determine the direction for staff development provision in support of quality of teaching, learning and assessment practice, academic guidance and learner support (subject to consultation with Academic Staff Committee where appropriate).
- To receive and consider overview reports and data in relation to operation of the quality framework, academic standards, student progression and achievement, collaborative provision and key aspects of the student learning experience. The Committee will disseminate good practice and address significant issues arising from these reports and data with reference to Senate as appropriate.
- To consider and determine matters relating to careers and the employability of students (including provision for placement learning and work-based learning).
Membership: The term of office for nominated members of the Committee is three years (renewable). In the event that a nominated member ceases to be eligible to serve, a replacement to serve for the remainder of their term of office will be nominated (renewable).
Co-option: At the discretion of the Committee in accordance with Senate Standing Order 16.
Alternates: Permitted in accordance with Senate Standing Order 17.
Quorum: One third of the membership of the Committee (Senate Standing Order 16).
Rules for Voting: None
Minutes: Submitted to Senate