Honorary Degrees Committee
The Committee makes recommendations to Senate on the conferment of Honorary Degrees.
Secretary to the Committee: If you would like further information about the Honorary Degrees Committee, please contact Clare Henderson, ext 3400.
Terms of office expire on 31st July in the year stated.
|Professor Dame Glynis Breakwell||President and Vice-Chancellor, Chair||
|Professor B Gilbertson||Member of Council elected by Council||
|Baroness J Royall||Member of Council elected by Council||
|Professor G McCusker||Member of Senate elected by Senate||
|Professor D Stanton Fraser||Member of Senate elected by Senate||
|Professor B Morley||Member of Academic Staff elected by Senate||
|Dr S Wharton||Member of Academic Staff elected by Senate||
The following Officers routinely attend meetings of the Committee:
|Mr M Humphriss||University Secretary|
|Mr G Maggs||Director of Development and Alumni Relations|
Terms of Reference
Approved by Council, June 2006.
- To recommend to Senate for approval persons worthy of the conferment of an honorary degree and the appropriate degree for each such person.
- To appoint Orators for recipients of honorary degrees.
- To recommend to Council and Senate the waiving of Ordinance 14.12 if necessary when appointing Orators for recipients of honorary degrees.
- To recommend to Senate the criteria for honorary degree nominations.
- To recommend to Senate the annual award of the Chancellor's Medal.
- To determine the procedures for submission and consideration of honorary degree nominations and subsequent award of honorary degrees.
Appointment of Chair: The Vice-Chancellor takes the Chair.
Membership: The Vice-Chancellor/Two members of Council who are not members of Senate elected by Council/Four members elected by Senate and hold academic posts at the University, of whom two shall be members of Senate.
Co-option: See Council Standing Orders 16(iv) and 16(v)
Alternates: See Council Standing Orders 17(ii) to (iv)
Quorum: One third of the membership (Council Standing Order 16(vi)).
Rules for voting: None specified.
Minutes: Submitted to Senate.