Relevant Links/Reference Material:
Please send you completed nomination form to:
Office of the University Secretary
4 West 3.8
Honorary Degree nominations
Nominations for Honorary Degrees
The Honorary Degrees Committee invites you to submit nominations for honorary degrees and in that way to support the process of extending our network of prestigious contacts and supporters. It particularly welcomes proposals that reflect the cultural diversity and international character of the University and promotes its commitments to gender equality.
Proposals for nominations are considered by the Honorary Degrees Committee, which is a joint Committee of Senate and Council and is chaired by the Vice-Chancellor. Awards must be approved by Senate.
Criteria for Honorary Degrees
As one of HE's most significant accolades, the University confers honorary degrees on individuals of conspicuous merit.
The Honorary Degrees Committee also considers whether those nominated meet any of the following criteria:
- Academics with an international reputation who have an existing or potential academic link with the University
- National or international figures who serve as a role model for young people
- International figures who have some connection with the University, for example a common area of research
- National or international figures who serve to make a statement about the University's position on moral or ethical issues
- Recognition of achievements which have not previously been recognised
- Persons with a local connection who have achieved a national or international reputation
The categories are indicative and where none apply the Committee will consider the justification for the case being submitted.
Closing date for Nominations - 15 September 2017
- To check whether a person has already received an honorary degree, you can review the University's Directory of Honorary Graduates
- To find out more about recent honorary graduates, read their profiles
- Serving Heads of Government will not be considered for honorary degrees. Former staff (or those approaching retirement) and alumni may be nominated for an award.
Thank you for completing this form which should not take you long. If you have any queries or require advice in advance of preparing a nomination, please contact Clare Henderson, extension 3400 in the Office of the University Secretary.