Studying abroad

On this page:


If you want to study abroad, you'll need to:

  • Start preparing early; some applications need to be sent off in your penultimate year. Postal delays, the need to take preliminary tests, lengthy procedures including getting a visa, and sometimes differences in the academic year, all have to be allowed for.
  • Accept that arranging it will be very time-consuming.
  • Be a good candidate academically - entry is almost always competitive, and academic achievement is key.
  • Be linguistically competent - could you cope with being taught in the language? An increasing number of courses in other European countries are run in English, but certainly not all.

Finding courses and institutions

We hold some paper-based information on postgraduate study abroad, with most of it centred on Europe, the USA and Commonwealth countries. There is also substantial web-based information on institutions and courses abroad. A good place to start for finding courses and information about countries is the TARGETpostgrad Studying abroad section (AGCAS guides). The University of Kent Careers Service has some useful weblinks for finding courses abroad. Our own resources, along with some useful websites, are listed in our catalogue of information resources for further study & funding. You could also do your own web search.


Staff at Bath who have been to the institutions/countries you are interested in can be really helpful - they know the culture and methods of applying, and can support you or recommend you.

AGCAS country profiles contain country specific information on studying abroad for certain countries.

For USA applications, the Fulbright Commission runs an advisory service specifically to help candidates get into postgraduate study in the USA. The Fulbright Commission also administers the Fulbright Awards Programme for UK students to study in the USA and for USA students to study in the UK.

Peterson's is a key publisher of information on studying in the USA. Their website includes information on US institutions, funding for studying in the US, and entry tests such as GRE and GMAT.

For Australia, IDP Education Australia offers free information and advice on study at all levels, including a database of postgraduate courses.

The Association of Commonwealth Universities' office in London can help with enquiries about study in the commonwealth, and the British Council answers general questions.

UKCISA (UK Council for International Student Affairs) provides information for international students on studying and working in the UK, and for UK students on studying abroad.

You can see a Careers Adviser to discuss your postgraduate study options. Call in or ring us on 01225 386009 to book an appointment.


You might need to sit an entry test (e.g. GRE or GMAT) and include your results in your application, particularly if you are applying to the USA. For the latest information see the Fulbright Commission's pages on tests for US study or ETS (Educational Testing Service) and

We have reference books in the Information Room to help you prepare.

Funding for study abroad

The standard sources of postgraduate funding apply only to the UK. (Courses which involve periods abroad can be covered, but not those based abroad.)

All funding for postgraduate study abroad which is notified to us is advertised online in MyFuture - see funded postgraduate opportunities for details.  We advertise ad hoc funded opportunities and regular schemes such as:

Commonwealth graduates who want to study in another commonwealth country might be eligible for a scholarship or bursary through the Association of Commonwealth Universities; some schemes are for any nationality, a few awards are tenable in any country.

In the USA it is very common for postgraduates to pay their way by working part-time, and the universities themselves often offer some teaching or clerical work... but it sometimes isn't certain until you are there. The universities also have more scholarship support available than we have in the UK.

The UNESCO site includes a Study abroad guide containing courses and scholarships and we list other useful resources in our catalogue of information resources for further study & funding.