It's easy to confuse the symptoms of meningitis with a hangover or flu - but meningitis can kill in hours if it isn't treated.
What you can do
- Make sure you know about the symptoms by watching this Meningitis Trust video
- Download the Meningitis Trust signs and symptoms app
- Make sure you have been vaccinated against the C strain of bacterial meningitis - contact your doctor or the University Medical Centre with any questions
- Know who to contact in an emergency
If you think that you or someone else may have meningitis:
- Call NHS Direct or your doctor or the University Medical Centre
- Go to your nearest Accident and Emergency centre
- Ring 999 for an ambulance
Describe the symptoms carefully and say that you think it could be meningitis.