Extending your Tier 4 student visa in the UK

Use this page to find out how to extend your Tier 4 student visa in the UK - you may also find it helpful to read our frequently asked questions. We have a separate page about extending your visa overseas.

Check and Send Service

If you're in the UK, please use our Check and Send Service to minimise the risk of your visa extension being refused.

  1. Request a CAS if you're a continuing student.
  2. Make a Check and Send appointment with an adviser by going to the Student Services Centre in 4 West or by calling +44 (0)1225 385538.
  3. We will provide a checklist of required documents and an envelope to collect them in when you book an appointment. If booking by phone, you can download the checklist.
  4. Fill in the online application form (do not submit or pay) and begin to prepare your documents.
  5. Check your documents during a daily drop-in advice session at the Student Services Centre.
  6. Attend your Check and Send appointment with your complete application (form and documents).
  7. We check your application and documents, help you to submit the form and send your application to UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI) for you at no extra cost.
  8. We let you know when you should have received the letter from UKVI asking you to have your biometric information recorded.
  9. We contact UKVI as necessary and oversee your application until UKVI have made a decision and your passport and documents are returned to us.
  10. Your passport, documents and Biometric Residence (BRP) card are returned to us - we scan these and upload them to SAMIS.
  11. We return your passport and documents to you and advise you of any further action required.

If you make a mistake on the form or do not include all the required documents, your visa may be refused and you will not be able to appeal that decision. In order to minimise the risk of this happening, we are offering to send your application to UKVI on your behalf via our Check and Send Service, which makes use of a UKVI scheme for universities to send Tier 4 applications.

It is, however, your responsibility to ensure that your application is complete, correct and meets the UKVI requirements. You must prepare your documents and the application form carefully before attending your Check and Send Service appointment.

Documents required

Low-risk nationals: some nationalities do not need to provide all supporting documents with their application. However, you must have these documents available on the date of your application as UKVI may ask to see them.

If UKVI asks you to submit any documents and you can't provide them, your application will be refused. The International Student Advisers must see your documents before sending your application - we reserve the right not to send your application for you if we have not seen your documents.

The application form

Use the UKVI online application form but do not submit and pay before your Check and Send appointment with an International Student Adviser. 

You can fill in the form and save it without submitting. We can't make changes once the form has been submitted. Your date of application is the date you submit the online form and pay. Dependants can fill in their details on the same application form.

Application fee

The fee is £422 by post (plus £422 per dependant if applying at the same time). If you apply in person, the fee is £822 (plus £822 per dependant if applying at the same time). The fee is payable online when you submit your application. Please do not submit and pay until you have seen an adviser.

Passport and photographs

You must provide your current passport. You must also provide any previous passports if you have come to the UK on them. 

Passport photographs

You must also provide two passport-sized photographs. These must follow the strict Home Office guidance for photographs

  • background must be light grey or cream (not white)
  • write your name on the back
  • photos must be identical
  • photos must be no more than 1 month old
  • you must have a neutral expression (no smiling)
  • photos must be the correct size. 

Biometric Residence Permit (BRP)

You must provide your Biometric Residence Permit if you have one.

Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS) certificate

You must request a CAS using the Student Services Helpdesk (SAMIS). You will be given your CAS during your Check and Send appointment. Before this appointment, you'll receive a CAS Summary to help you fill in your application form and to check your details are correct. Please print and bring to your Check and Send appointment.

Original certificates

You must provide the original certificates for all qualifications mentioned on your CAS statement.

Financial proof

Check your bank statements with the bank statement flowchart. You must have £820 per month for up to 9 months, or for 2 months if you have been studying in the UK for 6 months:

  • £7,380 living costs if you have just completed a pre-sessional English course which was less than 6 months, and this was the first course you have done in the UK, PLUS your first year of fees.
  • £1,640 living costs if you have a valid visa and have been studying here for 6 months or more PLUS your first year of fees (or remaining fees if you are extending for less than a year).

You will need more if you have dependants.

You must show the money using bank statements and / or a letter from a financial sponsor and / or receipts

Bank statements

  • The required money must have been in the bank account for a consecutive 28 day period.
  • Original bank statements must cover 28 days (and printed no more than 31 days before date of application). You can use your bank statements or your parents/legal guardian's statements. If you don't have original bank statements you can ask the bank to print one for you - make sure that each page is on headed paper and has your name and account details on. You can also print an online statement and ask the bank to stamp each page.
  • If you are using parents'/legal guardians' bank statements, you must also provide a birth certificate to prove your relationship with them PLUS an original signed and dated letter from them giving their consent to giving you the money for your study in the UK. Use this letter as a template. 

Overseas bank statements

  • If they are not in English, you must also send a fully certified translation by a professional translator. This must include the translator's qualifications, confirmation from the translator that it is an accurate translation of the original document, the date and the translator's signature.
  • you must write the closing balance in pounds sterling on the application form. Use the official exchange rate on the OANDA website.

Some overseas financial institutions are not accepted by UKVI.

Letter from financial sponsor

  • The letter must contain full details of the amount you will receive.
  • If your fees and maintenance are paid in full by your sponsor, they must also consent to you extending your time in the UK.
  • The letter must be stamped and on headed paper.
  • If your sponsor is paying for your dependants also, this must be clear on the letter.


  • You can show a receipt for fee payments and take this off the amount in your bank account. You can obtain receipts from Student Finance.
  • You can show a receipt for University accommodation payments up to a maximum of £1,020 and take this off the amount in your bank account. You can obtain receipts from Accommodation Services.

Academic Technology Approval Scheme (ATAS) certificate

Some students need an ATAS certificate. If you need one, apply early as there are often delays in processing ATAS applications.

Find out whether you need an ATAS certificate and how to get one.

You can also read more on the Home Office website.

Your police registration certificate

If you are required to register with the police it will be stated on your visa. Please make sure it has your current address on it.

Copies of all your documents

UKVI only accepts original documents - photocopies or faxes are unacceptable. It is essential that you keep photocopies of all documents sent to UKVI.