Placement students with a Tier 4 visa

Before you apply for your placement

Doing a placement with a Tier 4 visa

Tier 4 students can complete work placements during their time in the UK. The placement must:

  • be an integral and assessed part of your course
  • take up no more than 50% of the total time that you spend on your course

Doing a placement for more than 20 hours per week

If your placement is an integral and assessed part of your course, you can work full time on a paid or unpaid placement. You must not be self-employed.

Adding a placement to your course

If your department allows it, you can add a placement even if you started on a course without one.

  • You must make a Tier 4 visa application overseas before you can add a placement to your course. You should aim to do this during vacation periods
  • Check you have enough time left for study in accordance with UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI) time limits
  • Agree the change with your department who will submit a change of course form to the Student Immigration Service
  • You will receive an email from the Student Immigration Service advising you of the next steps to take regarding your visa

Speak to the Student Immigration Service for further advice.

Applying for a new visa if you need to extend it

    Apply overseas during one of the University vacation periods. You will need to travel overseas before your current visa expires.

You are strongly advised to wait until you have received an offer for a placement before applying to extend your visa. We reserve the right to not issue a CAS to support your visa application if you have not yet got a placement.

Doing a placement overseas

If you do a placement overseas, the University will continue to sponsor you. You must abide by the same guidelines and keep us informed of any changes.

Deciding not to do your placement

If you decide not to do your placement:

  1. Liaise with your department.
  2. Make sure that your course end date is changed on SAMIS.
  3. Complete a change of programme form and get both your department and the Student Immigration Service to sign it.
  4. Inform UKVI by completing the change of circumstances form.

Your visa will be cut short (curtailed). It will remain valid for 4 months after the completion of your studies, but you must then leave the UK or apply for a different visa.

Getting a National Insurance Number

Joblink can help you. 

Finding a placement

  • Your faculty has staff dedicated to maintaining links with employers and helping you find a placement
  • The Careers Service can offer good advice to prepare you for interviews and applications

When you're on your placement

Your responsibilities towards the University during your placement

  • Respond quickly to University communications to your University of Bath email address.
  • Update your contact details
  • Provide us with copies of your visa and passport when we request them. 
  • Attend and engage with your placement.
  • Apply for a new visa and any relevant required documents in good time. 
  • Keep up to date with requirements. 

You'll need to provide your new address and contact details to:

If you have to take an unexpected absence:

The University's responsibilities towards you as a Tier 4 sponsor during your placement

The University must:

  • monitor your attendance and engagement
  • record your passport and visa data
  • inform UKVI of major changes to your course.