Panoramic view of campus

Pultney Bridge

Contact details for incoming students

International Mobility team

tel: + 44 (0)1225 385408
fax: + 44 (0)1225 384262


Exchange and visiting students

Exchange and visiting students are students who study with us for one semester or one academic year without taking a qualification here.

Exchange students

You can apply to be an exchange student if we have an exchange relationship with your institution in the appropriate subject area and your institution nominates you to take part.

Exchange Students continue to pay tuition fees to their home institution but do not pay tuition fees here.

Your home institution's International Office or Erasmus Office will be able to tell you if they have an exchange agreement in place with us and advise you how to apply for nomination.

Exchange agreements in European countries are governed by the Erasmus programme. These exchange students are known as Erasmus students.

We also have exchange agreements with partner institutions in Argentina, Australia, Canada, Chile, Hong Kong, Mexico, New Zealand, Singapore, the United States of America, Uruguay and Japan.

Visiting students

Students from any university outside the United Kingdom may apply as a full-time fee-paying visiting student to study units from a single undergraduate degree programme in some subject areas.

We regret that we cannot accept applications for visiting students for certain subjects:

  • Architecture
  • Politics, Languages and International Studies
  • Social and Policy Sciences
  • School of Management programmes

We can only accept applications for Mechanical Engineering in exceptional circumstances.

Applications for multiple subject areas cannot be accepted.

The level of the tuition fee will depend upon nationality, domicile and subject of study as well as length of stay.

Postgraduate students

Visiting students at postgraduate research level are administered by the Graduate School or the relevant Faculty or School, and different procedures and tuition fees apply.

We regret that we cannot accept visiting students for taught postgraduate master's (MA and MSc) degree programmes.