Student numbers

Undergraduate 12
Postgraduate Taught 3
Postgraduate Research 1

Agent locations

Your contact in Bath

Zoe Whittle

Zoe Whittle

Zoe is the country manager for Japan, based in the International Relations Office at Bath.

Please do not hesitate to contact Zoe if you have any questions.

Next visit to Japan

  • March 2017

    SI-UK Education Fairs

    Applicants and offer holders event



Full visit schedule


1. Choose a programme of study

Undergraduate programmes

Postgraduate programmes

2. When to apply

Undergraduates can apply from 1 September onwards and should submit their application by the middle of January. You do not need to have completed your high school education in order to apply. We may make you a conditional offer setting out the level of performance we expect in your remaining examinations and assessments.

Masters candidates may apply from mid-October onwards. This includes students in the final year of their degree studies as we can offer a place on a conditional basis.

Students interested in a research degree may apply at any time and we can offer admission at various points throughout the year. Most students prefer to begin their studies at the start of the academic year in October.

3. How to apply 

Applications for all of our programmes of study can be made online.

You should apply through UCAS for all of our undergraduate programmes.

Postgraduates should apply directly to the University.  

International (non-EU) students can also complete an application for the Bath Foundation Year.

4. Track your application

If you have already applied for a programme of study then you can check on your progress using Application Tracker.

Entry requirements

These requirements will vary from subject to subject. You also need to look at course entry requirements in our undergraduate and postgraduate prospectuses.

Foundation Programmes

Kotogakko Sotsugyo Shomeisho

If you have completed 12 years of education in Japan and attained the Upper Secondary School Leaving Certificate (Kotogakko Sotsugyo Shomeisho), then you will need to complete a foundation programme to progress on to a Bachelor’s degree.

We recommend our International Foundation Year for high school graduates; it is the ideal preparation for undergraduate studies.

Undergraduate Degrees

A Level or International Baccalaureate (IB)

We welcome applications from students taking A Level examinations, the International Baccalaureate (IB) and certain other internationally recognised qualifications for direct entry into undergraduate programmes.

We have in the past received applications from students attending international schools in Japan as well as Japanese students undertaking their schooling in the UK.

Detailed entry requirements can be found in the undergraduate prospectus.

Entry from a Japanese University

It is sometimes possible to apply for Year 1 entry to an undergraduate degree if you have studied for one year at a university in Japan. Entry requirements will depend on the subjects you have studied, your grades and the university you have attended.

The University may also consider students with good passes in their vocational degree (Senmonshi), an associate degree (Jun-Gakushi) or Junior College Certificate of Graduation (Tanki Daigaku Shuryo Shoshois) for entry to Year 1.

Postgraduate Taught Degrees

Bachelors degree from a recognised institution

We will consider holders of a bachelor’s degree from a recognised university in Japan. Grade requirements vary as we consider a number of factors, such as subject of study, scores in individual classes, and the institution at which you obtained your degree.

As a guideline we look for a GPA of at least 3.0 (out of 4.0) or 3.75 (out of 5.0) in your undergraduate degree (Gakushi). Details of the entry requirements for each of our postgraduate taught degrees are provided in the postgraduate prospectus.

Please read them carefully, as there can sometimes be additional requirements, such as the need for work experience or a very specific academic background.

Applicants will not be asked to provide a GMAT report except in certain circumstances for the MBA programme.

For the MBA: where applicants have less than 4 years of relevant, postgraduate, management experience or do not have a first degree, but have a significant number of years relevant management experience -– a good GMAT score (minimum 600) is required.


Postgraduate Research Degrees

Masters level qualification

We generally require a Masters level qualification (Shushui) from a recognised university in Japan for MPhil/PhD entry.

We usually expect evidence of some research experience (for example through a Master’s degree project) and in addition to the standard application papers, you need to submit a research proposal outlining how you intend to go about your research.


English language requirements

To study on the International Foundation Year you will need a minimum IELTS score of 5.5.

The minimum English Language requirement for our undergraduate courses is IELTS 6.0 - 7.0 or an equivalent qualification.

All postgraduate taught applicants must meet our English requirements (IELTS 6.5-7.0). You can do this by taking IELTS exams or by attending a pre-sessional programme in our Academic Skills Centre (ASC).

More information about English Language requirements.


Scholarships and funding

Prospective international students are eligible for a number of scholarships. Most of these are for postgraduate taught students. Departments may also offer specific scholarships for their students. Find out more about Scholarships and Bursaries.

These are some of the scholarship and funding options available to students from your country:

International Scholarship Scheme

We are offering 75 postgraduate scholarships worth £3,000 each. This will be offered as a discount in tuition fees. The scholarships are for one year only.

More details of the International Scholarship Scheme



Find out about undergraduate accommodation and postgraduate accommodation options.


During your studies it is important to feel involved with university life. You will find a range of societies here where you can meet people and participate in events and social occasions.


It is important to consider your career options when deciding where to study. The University of Bath Careers Service offers support and careers guidance to international students as well as assistance in finding part-time work via Students' Union JobLink.

Support for international students

We have a dedicated Student Immigration Service which supports all our international students during their studies.

Our International Relations Office also provides support before you arrive and throughout your studies.