MSc Mathematical Sciences
For details of this programme please see the Department of Mathematical Sciences Masters page.
Qualifications and durations
- Full-time MSc 1 year
- Part-time MSc 2 years
This Masters programme is designed to prepare students for research, either as research students in universities, or professional mathematicians/statisticians/probabilists with a postgraduate training. It complements the MSc in Modern Applications of Mathematics and the MSc in Mathematical Biology also on offer in the department, and uses units on offer within the existing MMath programme. This MSc is particularly suitable for candidates with interests and backgrounds in pure mathematics, applied mathematics, statistics and probability with a broad range of units on offer from all areas of the mathematical sciences. Applications from appropriately qualified overseas students are strongly encouraged.
View programme catalogue for more information
First or upper second class honours degree or equivalent in Mathematics or Mathematical Sciences. The minimum non-graduate qualifications acceptable for admission to the University of Bath are:
- Membership of recognised professional institutions of at least graduate status as a result of examination.
- The following qualifications are acceptable for admission to a preliminary course in preparation for courses leading to a Masters Degree.
- BTEC Higher National Qualifications in an appropriate subject with at least five merits in designated modules where appropriate.
- Equivalent qualifications taken prior to 1986.
- Extended and responsible experience in a relevant field in industry, in teaching or a government establishment, together with authorship of technical papers of an acceptable academic standard.
- For taught MSc only, the Vordiplom of a German University with mention “gut” or “sehr gut”.
IELTS 6.5 (with not less than 6.0 in each of the four components).
TOEFL 580 (paper-based test) or 237 (computer-based test) with a score of not less than 4 in the TWE or 92 (internet-based test) with not less than 21 in each of the components.
Two references are required.
Dr Antal Jarai
Tel 01225 383410
Fax 01225 386492
See the Tuition Fees Schedule.
Research in our Department is centred around a number of focused areas or themes. To find out more, please see our:
Our research staff and students are also involved in a number of formal Research Centres. Please visit their websites: