Modular Programme in Advanced and Specialist Healthcare Practice
Advanced & Consultant Level study (CPD and recognised awards)
As an experienced mid-career or senior pharmacist, doctor, nurse, senior technician or other health professional, Bath’s award-bearing CPD will help you achieve excellence in your practice and open pathways into advanced practice roles.
- Managing in health
- Advanced clinical practice
- Research Methods (starts November 2016)
- Supporting Education, Training and Development (starts September 2016)
- Advanced professional development (available any time)
- Plus a choice of over ten 6-credit courses including key therapeutic areas as well as Minor Ailments, Mental Health, Public Health and the Pharmacist Prescribing Programme.
Further information about available units and the programme structure can be found in our postgraduate programme brochure. Programme descriptions can be found in the University’s online programme catalogue.
- Support to identify and lead innovation and service development relevant to your area of practice
- Minimal time away from work
- Excellent support and professional networks
- A user-friendly virtual learning environment with online resources, discussion and professional conferences
- Choose individual award-bearing CPD courses or build credits toward an MSc in Advanced and Specialist Healthcare Practice
- Accreditation of prior learning, certified or experiential, which can count towards the MSc
The courses in Advanced Clinical Practice are ‘open’, meaning that you work with a University tutor to identify an area of advanced clinical practice in which to undertake significant practice development work. A work-based coach, normally a clinical specialist from the NHS may be appointed as a second reader and ‘coach’ to comment critically on the clinical accuracy and relevance of your work.
Pathways and duration
- CPD specialist course (3-9 months depending on number of credits)
- Certificate / Diploma / MSc in Advanced and Specialist Healthcare Practice (up to 10 years to convert credits)
Dates and deadlines
Course start dates are shown above. Please ensure your application is submitted six weeks before the start date. Conference dates are available on request.
Please use the online application form. Two references will be needed when applying for the MSc, Diploma or Certificate.
Transfer of credit from other institutions is possible. Please call the Programme Office to discuss this option.
Entry and English requirements
- Have a BPharm or MPharm if you are a pharmacist, or equivalent professional degree if you are a member of another professional group
- Be a registered member of the General Pharmaceutical Council or other professional registration body
- Be working at a senior level in your area of practice and have at least 4 years’ experience post registration
- Demonstrate a commitment to CPD by providing up-to-date records of formal professionally recognised CPD activity
If your first language is not English, you will need an IELTS score of at least 7 overall with no less than 6.5 in all components or at least 250 (computer-based test) with a score of not less than 5.0 in the TWE or 100 (internet-based test) with not less than 24 in each of the components.
Fees and Funding
Fees for the current academic year can be viewed here.
Participants are generally supported by their employer or self-finance for these Advanced CPD courses. However, SWMIT bursaries are sometimes available for pharmacists and technicians working in SW Acute Hospital Trusts for contributions towards the costs of these units. Contact the Programme Lead for more information.
firstname.lastname@example.org; tel: +44 (0) 1225 386773; fax: +44 (0) 1225 386114
Taught Postgraduate Programme Administrator, Department of Pharmacy and Pharmacology, University of Bath BA2 7AY UK
Research in our Department is centred around a number of focused areas or themes. To find out more, please see our:
Our research staff and students are also involved in a number of formal Research Centres and networks:
- Bath Inflammation/Rheumatology Research Network (BIRD)
- Cancer Research at Bath (CR@B)
- Centre for Extremophile Research
- Centre for Mathematical Biology
- Centre for Regenerative Medicine (CRM)
- Inter-Departmental Infection and Immunity Network
- Neuroscience Network at University of Bath (NNUB)