Integrated Mechanical and Electrical Engineering
Subject in detail
Traditional engineering degrees often offer purely mechanical or electrical subjects; however, 21st Century industries and research laboratories need graduates with interdisciplinary skills who are able to make and immediate contribution to teams working on complex projects.
The University of Bath’s Integrated Mechanical & Electrical Engineering (IMEE) programme has been designed in consultation with industry to meet this need. It achieves this aim without sacrificing the intellectual rigour of a single-discipline programme. You will study subjects such as:
- digital electronics
- advanced control
- vehicle engineering.
The key features of this programme are:
- teaching from two world-class Departments, Electronic and Electrical Engineering and Mechanical Engineering
- receive an integrated view of engineering, combining mechanical and electrical and using extensive industrial case studies
- a new state-of-the-art robotics laboratory for enhanced group and individual projects
- accreditation by both the Institution of Engineering & Technology (IET) and the Institution of Mechanical Engineers (IMechE), allowing the fastest route to Chartered Engineer status.
Teaching and learning
Our programmes are fully modular and taught over two semesters per year. The modules, called “units”, will involve you in about 20 – 24 contact hours per week, plus private study, in your first two years. These hours consist of lectures, laboratories, workshops and tutorials. In later years you will have fewer formal lectures and there is a significant emphasis on semester-long group and individual projects, all carried out under the supervision of academic staff. We bring our leading-edge research into our teaching and you will interact with engineers at the forefront of their fields.
For more information about teaching and learning in this programme, please contact Dr Manuchehr Soleimani, Undergraduate Director of Studies (IMEE).
Methods of assessment
Assessment consists of examinations, coursework, laboratory work, presentations and project reports. All units are assessed in the semester in which they are taught.
Units & programme structure
- Units for BEng (Hons) Integrated Mechanical and Electrical Engineering Four years with placement (HH3P)
- Units for MEng (Hons) Integrated Mechanical and Electrical Engineering Four years (HHJ6)
- Units for MEng (Hons) Integrated Mechanical and Electrical Engineering Five years with placement (HH3Q)
- Units for BEng (Hons) Integrated Mechanical and Electrical Engineering Three years (HH36)