Sport and Exercise Science
Placements and careers
This programme includes an optional placement year in the third year of study.
Our placements provide:
- outstanding opportunities to gain ‘real life' work experiences
- work opportunities for numerous high-profile organisations around the world
- the opportunity to take a professional placement or study abroad or a combination of the two.
We are the only UK university currently to offer a year's professional placement to those studying sport and exercise science.
The placement year is valued highly by our students, not only for improving their skills and providing an insight into areas of work that they may wish to take in future, but it allows them to leave university with a strong CV that helps to set them apart from other graduates entering the job market.
Recent placements include:
- USA Ski/Snowboard
- Auckland Blues RFC
- Australian Institute of Sport
- Olympic Medical Institute, London
- QinetiQ, Farnborough
- Human Performance Laboratory
- University of Calgary
- University of Western Australia.
Study abroad opportunities include:
- University of Saskatchewan, Canada
- Southern Cross University, Australia
Applications for placement can be very competitive and it is your responsibility to secure the position, but at all times you will be supported by our placements team.
Find out more about placement opportunities.
A degree in Sport and Exercise Science will set you on the right track for many career options such as:
- sport science support (e.g. EIS, UK Sport, Professional Clubs)
- strength and conditioning
- NHS exercise prescription
- youth sport
- academic research
- general graduate employment.
If you study the MSci programme then you will find the master’s level qualification should give you an advantage over BSc graduates in the competitive jobs market.