“My placement gave me real responsibility and a fantastic opportunity to develop key skills for the rest of my degree.”
— Duncan Boa (MEng Mechanical Engineering with Advanced Design and Innovation) on his placement at Eli Lilly, UK
All our courses offer the option of a placement, and some include a professional placement as an integral part of the course.
- Over 60% of our students choose a placement or study year abroad
- Our students are highly valued and sought after by leading graduate employers
- Practical experience and theoretical study give students a unique perspective
- Placements provide you with the skills to suceed in the most competitive work environments
Some of the companies where we have placed students include:
- BAE Systems
- Buro Happold
- Lloyds TSB
- Lockheed Martin
- The National Trust
- Welsh Assembly
Our students gain placements in highly innovative and dynamic companies in industry, commerce, the health and caring professions, education, public services or research institutions.
A placement enhances your employment prospects in many ways:
- Improves team-working, decision-making and problem-solving
- Develops communication, planning and IT skills
- Applies what you have learnt during your programme of study
Paid and Voluntary Placements
We encourage employers to offer paid placements. However, there are a number of unpaid placements each year within hospitals, charitable organisations and academic institutions.
The length of placements varies and you can work in the UK or abroad. Placements in other European countries may be eligible for an Erasmus grant.
- Paid placements are in the region of £15 - 25k per annum
- The Bath Alumni Fund also provides grants to support students on placements with a difference and has supported projects such as academic research in India and conservation work in Honduras.
Supporting your Placement
- Faculties have staff dedicated to maintaining links with employers and helping students find a placement
- Staff provide support while you are on placement, usually by email
We cannot guarantee that a particular placement will be available or that you will be able to earn a particular salary; applications for placements can be very competitive.