Tier 4 applications

When to apply

You should apply as soon as you have your Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS) statement and all your supporting documents ready.

We will contact you automatically about your CAS once you have accepted your unconditional offer. This will not be more than four months before the start of your course.

Check how long it will take to process your visa in your country.

Where to apply

If you are overseas

  • You must get your visa before travelling to the UK
  • You should apply through a Visa Application Centre in your country

If you are in the UK

How to apply

Applying online

It is possible to apply online in most countries. Read our guidance on applying online. After applying, you will still be required to attend an appointment to provide your original passport(s), supporting documents and fees, if you have not paid online. You will also need to include a printout of the online application form.

You can make an appointment with the visa section online using the e-appointments system. You will be sent an email confirming the appointment.

If you can't apply online

If you can't apply online you must print and complete the application form to be submitted with all the supporting documents, photocopies of all your documents and payment.

Biometric information

Biometric details are scans of all 10 fingers and a full-face digital photograph.

You need to provide your biometric details in person - this should take no more than five minutes. Your visa application will not be processed until you have met this requirement.

New regulations require non-EEA nationals, seeking permission from overseas to enter the UK for more than six months, to apply for a Biometric Residence Permit (BRP).

If you apply from overseas, your visa will be a Biometric Residence Permit (BRP), rather than a sticker in your passport.

The visa application procedure will remain the same. Instead of having a visa sticker in your passport showing the full leave period granted, there will be a short validity "travel" sticker in your passport that will allow you to travel to the UK and to collect your BRP.

If your visa application is successful, you will receive a letter informing you of the decision to grant you a visa, which will also include notification that you must collect your BRP from the University of Bath (if you selected this when making your application - recommended) or from your designated Post Office Branch within 10 days of arrival in the UK.

Immigration Health Surcharge

The Immigration Health Surcharge is a new financial requirement.

If you are applying for a visa to study here for more than 6 months, you must pay an additional fee to entitle you to free health care under the National Health Service. You will be required to pay £150 per year for the entirety of your visa.

This will be paid in one instalment at the point of visa application. For example, students on undergraduate courses of 4 years will be expected to pay £600 when they make their initial visa application.

The surcharge will also apply to student dependants.

Please attend an Student Immigration Service 'drop in' if you have any questions or concerns or email the Student Immigration Service at

If the change results in financial difficulty, we may suggest that you meet with a funding adviser

Visa fees

Tier 4 (general) student £335
Student dependant £335
Short term study (up to 6 months) £93
Extended short term study (from 6 to 11 months) £179

These fees are payable if you are applying for a visa from outside the UK. You will pay them in your local currency.

Credibility interview

You may have a short 'credibility' interview when you attend the visa application centre to submit your application and biometric information.

What will I be asked?

The interview focuses on your reasons for coming to the UK and your ability to explain this in English. For example, you may be asked about your course, studies or finances.

What happens next?

A report of the interview will be considered with your visa application and supporting documents.

You may be called for a further interview if the visa officer needs more information.

Watch a video on the experience of two students applying for a visa

If your visa is refused

Please contact the Student Immigration Service at

It is important to send a scanned or faxed copy of the refusal letter that you receive (fax: +44 (0)1225 385253).

Useful links

Please note that immigration rules are subject to frequent change. We try to keep this information as up-to-date as possible but it remains your responsibility to check your immigration requirements.