The GW4 Clinical Academic Training PhD Programme for Health Professionals (GW4-CAT HP) is funded by the Wellcome Trust and will provide five PhD Fellowships for registered health professionals from 2022 for five years.
The Directors of the GW4-CAT HP are now inviting expressions of interest from academics to join the PhD Senior Supervisor pool to supervise PhD training for GW4-CAT HP fellow appointed to the scheme.
All supervisors should:
- be currently working in one of the GW4-CAT HP institutions (Bath, Bristol, Cardiff or Exeter)
- be able to provide a vibrant, state-of-the-art and well-resourced training environment
- have a well-funded research group, with capacity to provide support for training fellows: this would include holding significant personal funding as Principle Investigator from the Wellcome Trust (WT), MRC or another prestigious funder (e.g. CRUK, BHF etc)
- have a consistent track record of excellence in supervising PhD students (clinical and/or non-clinical) to successful completion that is commensurate with supervisor career stage
- have an excellent publication track record in 4/3 journals and be REF2021 submissable
- be prepared to commit time to oversee progress of the CAT HP fellow as Senior Supervisor, and provide frequent and regular supervision with minimal encumbrance from other activities (supervisory or otherwise)
- be aware and supportive of the requirements of the career pathway for health professionals and vets
- supervisors at an early career stage (e.g. Senior Research Fellows) will be considered as Senior Supervisors on a case by case basis
If you are interested in being considered as a Senior Supervisor you should provide:
- a one page expression of interest
- a copy of your CV – 4 pages maximum, 12 point Ariel font to include:-
- your PhD student supervision record
- current and most recent (last five years) funding
- publications (ten maximum)
Any expressions of interest will be reviewed against our eligibility criteria by the Management Board annually.
The final decision on who will be appointed as a Senior Supervisor will be the responsibility of the GW4-CAT HP Directors and Management Board in discussion with the Fellow.
Bullying and Harassment Policy
“Wellcome considers bullying and harassment of any kind, in any context, to be unacceptable. We believe that all people working at Wellcome or involved in Wellcome-funded activities should be able to work in an environment where everyone is treated, and treats others, fairly and with respect.”