Members of our community will have seen the distressing news this week regarding the attacks and subsequent large-scale conflict in Israel and Gaza. The impacts have been devastating and there are reports of hundreds of fatalities including Israelis and Palestinians.
Our thoughts are with those who have lost loved ones and those who are concerned about family members, friends or colleagues. We offer our deepest sympathies to all those affected.
The UK Government’s Foreign, Commonwealth & Development Office (FCDO) advises against all but essential travel to Israel and the Occupied Palestinian Territories and has published guidance and contact details. The FCDO has advised that the Israeli government has declared a state of emergency across the whole country and that international borders (air and land) in Israel and the Occupied Palestinian Territories could close at short notice.
Please be mindful that at this time some staff and students will be particularly concerned about family and friends in the region and about potential discrimination here in the UK.
Every member of our University of Bath community has the right to feel safe. If you are concerned about discrimination, either for yourself or others, please remember our Support and Report online tool, the SafeZone app and the availability of the Security team on or off campus.
As an inclusive international community, we’d ask everyone to continue to be supportive of one another at this time. You may wish to look at our #NeverOK Online toolkit for some guidance.
As a University, we are ensuring that our support services (linked below) are available to provide as much support as possible both now and in the coming weeks to staff and students. We will publish updates to this message as needed.
Support for students
Support is available for students through:
- our Student Support Service is available every day of the year at 4 West Student Centre, no appointment necessary, or by emailing email@example.com
- our “Be Well - Talk Now” service provides free, confidential advice and support by phone, video call or live chat from anywhere in the world, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year. From within the UK, please call 0808 196 8046. From outside the UK, please call +44 3 307771499, or visit our webpages for more information and the live chat link
- help is also available from The SU’s Advice and Support Centre
- the Chaplaincy staff are happy to talk with anyone who has been affected, in total confidence. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org or Nigel Rawlinson at email@example.com
If you feel your academic work is being affected, please contact your Personal Tutor, Director of Studies or Supervisor as soon as possible for academic advice and support.
Support for staff
Support is available for staff members through:
- our Care first and Employee Assistance Programme services, which offer free counselling support for staff either face to face or by phone
- you may wish to speak with your line manager or your HR contact
- the 24/7 online and phone-based Education Support Partnership service, which is an independent counselling service. You can contact them directly by phoning 08000 562561 or by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
- the Chaplaincy staff are available to talk with anyone who has been affected. Please email email@example.com or Nigel Rawlinson at firstname.lastname@example.org
If you are a staff member who is concerned about a student who may have been affected, please call 01225 384321.
Please remember all staff and students planning international travel on University business are expected to follow University travel guidance.