The Home Office has now released updated immigration guidance for visa holders offering extensions until 31 May 2020 for visas that expire between 24 January 2020 and 31 May 2020. The extension is not automatic: you will need to contact the Coronavirus Immigration Team to update your immigration record if this applies to you.

Please read the immigration guidance carefully.

In particular, it provides the following special arrangements:

Free extension if your immigration permission expires between 24 January and 31 May 2020

If your immigration permission expired, or will expire, between 24 January and 31 May 2020 the Home Office will extend it for you up to 31 May 2020 without your having to make an immigration application or pay a fee. However, you must contact its Coronavirus Immigration Help Centre.

You can do this by email and we recommend that you email, rather than call, so that you have a record of the contact and save time waiting to speak to someone.

You must provide the information set out in the guidance:

  • your full name including any middle names
  • your date of birth (dd/mm/yyyy)
  • your nationality
  • your previous visa reference number
  • reason why you can’t go back to your home country, for example if the border has closed

The Home Office will let you know when your request is received and when your visa has been extended.

Applications in the UK when this would not normally be possible

​You can apply in the UK under the same or a different immigration category if you would normally have to leave the UK to make the new application. For example, if you are here with a short-term student visa you will be able to apply in the UK under Tier 4. You make this application online and pay the fee for an application made in the UK.

The deadline for applying under this provision is 31 May 2020.

Note that you will have to meet all other requirements of the immigration category you want to apply under.

If your immigration permission expires or expired between 24 January and 31 May 2020, and you cannot make use of this special provision or leave the UK, make sure you notify the Home Office's Coronavirus Immigration Help Centre as early as possible that you want a free extension under the provision explained above.

If you have any questions, or need any support with this, please contact us by email.