If you are a student living in University accommodation, you may have some questions about how the current COVID-19 situation will affect you. You can find answers to common questions below.

Remaining in University accommodation

What should I do if I, or one of my flatmates, display symptoms associated with COVID-19?

If you or a member of your flat shows symptoms, please inform us by emailing accomselfisolate@bath.ac.uk. We have a thorough procedure in place to support self-isolating students and manage this within University accommodation. We are able to deliver meals to you, and provide you with additional cleaning supplies.

If you need support, please email livingsupport@bath.ac.uk.

If your symptoms worsen, please call Security on 666 on a landline or +44 (0)1225 383999 from a mobile.

Someone who was living with me in my student accommodation has now tested positive for COVID-19, am I safe to continue living here?

Yes. Cleaning products have been supplied for your flat/house. Cleaning an area with normal household disinfectant after someone with suspected coronavirus (COVID-19) has left will reduce the risk of passing the infection on to other people. Government advice stipulates that the amount of virus living on surfaces will have reduced significantly by 72 hours.

I am continuing to live in student accommodation, what support is available to me?

The University’s Wellbeing Service is still operating, providing all services virtually. If you require support you can contact them by calling +44 (0)1225 383838 or by emailing studentservices@bath.ac.uk.

For updates from the University on all matters relating to COVID-19 please visit the University’s official update pages.

You can keep in contact with your student community virtually through the Student Union Facebook page.

Security still operates 24/7 and can be accessed for non-emergencies via +44 (0)1225 385349 or security-office@bath.ac.uk. In an emergency use 666 on a landline or +44 (0)1225 383999 from a mobile.

I am continuing to live in student accommodation. Now that the direct debits have been cancelled, how do I pay?

You need to pay your final instalment online.

I told you I was leaving my accommodation but now I'm not, what should I do?

You will need to contact the Student Accommodation team by emailing accommodation@bath.ac.uk.

Accommodation building access will shortly be temporarily removed from library cards for those who have requested a release from their accommodation contracts. By contacting us, we can ensure that you still have access.

I have been told I need to move to alternative accommodation. Why is this?

Your wellbeing is our main priority, and during these difficult times, our University community is more important than ever.

To ensure that you can benefit from this support, we will be safely moving some of our students to alternative rooms on campus.

When you are on campus you will have the opportunity to collect free takeaway meals from lime tree, three times a day.

Leaving University accommodation

I am leaving my accommodation after the 18th of April, but would still like to be released from my contract. Is this possible?

We are currently unable to offer contract releases after 18 April 2020.

I have completed the early departure form online but I'm yet to hear back, has my request been received?

Yes. We have received a high number of requests and are in the process of working through. As soon as your early departure is processed, you will receive a confirmation email.

I have left my accommodation and there are still belongings in my room - what will happen them, and where will they be stored?

Your belongings will remain in your room, unless we contact you and confirm otherwise. In most cases, we do not anticipate requiring rooms to be emptied. If we do require your room to be emptied, your belongings will be packed by a member of the accommodation team, who follow a strict packing process.

This packing process involves them taking a photo of your room, recording all items on a property log, carefully packing belongings into boxes and bags and storing them securely in University buildings. Your possessions continue to be insured, even after they are moved.

We will store all kitchen items together in house/flat groups, including any non-perishable foods. Perishable food will be donated to local food banks and charities.

When can I collect the belongings left in my room, and how will I know where to collect them from?

When government restrictions are lifted, we will be in touch with collection details. As stated by the Universities Minister, the collection of belongings from University is not currently considered to be essential travel.

Please do not attempt to return to the University to collect your belongings until we contact you. To safeguard our remaining students and staff, we will not be in a position to grant you access to your building.

When will I receive my accommodation refund?

For those who have already paid the entire academic year’s rent, we aim to process refunds by 1 June 2020. Direct debits have been cancelled for the final rent instalments.

I left earlier than 18 April, can I receive a refund from the date that I left my accommodation?

The earliest we are able to release students from their accommodation contracts is 18 April.

What will happen to my Eat and Drink credit?

Any unspent Eat and Drink will be automatically carried forward, and available to use until you leave the University in your final year. This means you will be able to spend your credit when you return.

If your accommodation includes Eat and Drink credit, this payment will not be taken as part of your final instalment (April – June). If you have already paid for your accommodation in full, this will be refunded automatically.