- School of Management - Professor Veronica Hope Hailey, Dean and Head of School of Management, gave a presentation on the - School’s performance and strategy.
- The Vice-Chancellor gave a report on key issues for the University, including the Cities and Local Government Devolution Act, the draft Placemaking Plan produced by Bath & North East Somerset Council and the Oxford Economics report which analysed the significant contribution the University makes to the local and national economy.
- There was also a wide-ranging discussion about the ongoing plans to assist refugees, particularly in Jordan where the greatest impact could be made.
- Strategy: Council heard about further developments in the University Strategy following the Council Strategy Day in October.
- International Strategy: Council received an update on priorities in the International Strategy from Professor Colin Grant, Pro-Vice-Chancellor (Internationalisation).
- Marketing: Tim Kaner, Director of Marketing & Communications, gave a presentation on marketing activity across the University.
- Student Applications: Council noted the very successful admissions cycle for 2015 and that undergraduate application numbers for 2016 were also positive. We also heard about national trends in university admissions over the last five years.
- Student Surveys: three reports were discussed - the results of HEA‘s 2015 Postgraduate Taught Experience Survey, Postgraduate Research Experience Survey and United Kingdom Engagement Survey. Actions being taken to improve the student experience, particularly for postgraduates, were discussed.
- Finance: Council approved the revised financial forecast for 2015/16.
- Annual Reports: Council noted the annual report of the Health, Safety and Environment Service and the annual Energy and Environment report.
- External Auditor: Council approved the re-appointment of KPMG as external auditors for the University’s 2015/16 audit.
- Calendar of Committees: dates for committee meetings were agreed for 2016/17 and 2017/18, as recommended by Senate.
Report from Council on 25 Feb 2016
The following issues were discussed at the recent Council meeting: