SAMIS summer upgrade
The summer upgrade to SAMIS should be much simpler than the one that proved problematic in December. A winter upgrade was not good timing for many and exposed the University to some risk due to a new version of software going live immediately before the University closed for winter break. One benefit of this upgrade is that future upgrades will take place in mid-April.
When is the upgrade taking place
SAMIS will be unavailable from Sunday 18 to Wednesday 21 July inclusive.
What do I need to do
Please remember to log out of SAMIS when you leave work on Friday 16 July.
Key benefits of the upgrade
Each release brings new functionality that developers can then deploy through their projects; version 10.1 delivers:
- A new look and feel for SAMIS on the Web
- Improved security with 2-factor authentication on both web and client user interfaces
- A new Data Dictionary module that tracks the flow of data within SITS and to/from external systems to improve data management
What will happen during the upgrade
From Monday 19 July, we will provide a ‘read only’ service to client users only, via the ‘STRUCTURE’ non-production instance, accessible via Uniapps or the desktop launcher.
The following applications will be unavailable for the duration of the upgrade:
- SAMIS on the web
- Application Tracker
- SAMIS bookings (PG Skills, University Open Days, UCAS Open Days)
- Applicant username and password generation
- Registration Online (ROL)
- Business Objects (SAMIS-related reports only)
- Business Objects Webi Reporting
- Student Lookup
- User account creation & some other DDaT user account tools
- Panopto Review Scheduler
Data to and from SAMIS and other systems will not update during the upgrade. If you are responsible for any technical interfaces to or from SAMIS, please ensure that your connections to the database will not be attempting to run during this period. Systems that provide data to or get data from SAMIS include:
- Room Service
- Exam Timetable
- Student Loan Company
- Students' Union (MSL)
- Applicant CRM
- Student Journey CRM
We thank you for your patience while this necessary upgrade takes place.