The fourth round of UKRI Future Leaders Fellowships will open shortly, with a UKRI deadline in October 2019 (exact date to be confirmed).
Due to the requirement for host contribution to fellows salary, and offer of an open-ended post after the fellowship, all applications must be strongly supported by the Head of Department.
The key criteria for this scheme are:
- quality and excellence - applicants must demonstrate exceptional potential to be world-leading, and plan to address a multi-faceted research or innovation challenge
- applicants need to be clear on what they will gain from the long-term, flexibility offered by the scheme - what is the added value of an FLF for the applicant and/or why are standard grants or RC Fellowships not optimal?
- FLFs are for early career researchers/academics and offer a step-change; not for already established academics or those who have benefited from significant fellowships - see round 1 funded applicants
- enhanced host commitment and tailored support for the fellow is crucial, e.g. career development opportunities
- strong applicants consider leadership and career development for themselves and the staff they plan to employ on the award
- applicants may only have one fellowship under consideration by any part of UKRI at any one time, unless explicitly stated otherwise
RIS is running @Home with UKRI Future Leaders Fellowships on 14 June.