As of 10 January 2019:

Students with Tier 4 immigration permission (leave) to study a part-time postgraduate course are now able to apply to extend their Tier 4 leave in the UK to continue studying on a part-time or on a full-time basis. This means that people studying part time for a doctorate are now able to apply under the Doctorate Extension Scheme.

Further UKVI changes from 2018, still current, are included below.

As of 11 January 2018:

  • if you are applying to add a placement year to your course you are now exempt from demonstrating academic progression, and can now apply to extend your visa in the UK
  • if you want to undertake part-time study at RQF level 7 or above (postgraduate master’s degrees and doctoral programmes) in the UK for more than 6 months, other than by distance learning, you must do so using Tier 4, which now allows for part-time courses
  • if you are undertaking a distance learning course for more than 6 months and the majority of your study is overseas, you can still come to the UK using the Short-Term Study route, but your time in the UK must not exceed 56 days in any 6-month period

The following restrictions apply to Tier 4 part-time visa holders:

  • no work is permitted (including placements)
  • you cannot bring dependants with you
  • you must meet all Tier 4 requirements, including financial and English language requirements when making your visa application
  • you must apply for ATAS Clearance if applying for an ATAS course
  • you must pay the Immigration Health Surcharge for the full duration of the course when you make your application for entry clearance
  • the University’s Tier 4 licence responsibilities still apply, including attendance-monitoring and reporting duties

For more information visit Applying for a Tier 4 (General) student visa.