The next round of the Academy of Medical Sciences Springboard scheme will open soon. The University can submit four applications and you must be nominated by your institution in order to submit an application to the Academy. We are running a university process to select those that will submit.
AMS springboard scheme
Springboard offers a bespoke package of support to biomedical researchers at the start of their first independent post to help launch their research careers. This includes funding of up to £100,000 over two years and access to the Academy’s acclaimed mentoring and career development programme.
The Academy of Medical Sciences embraces the broad diversity of biomedical research and its non-clinical Fellows represent the breadth of the field. Equally, we encourage Springboard applicants from molecular, cellular and structural biology to anatomical, physiological, psychological, epidemiological and public health research areas. You may use experimental or theoretical approaches and be undertaking basic laboratory research through clinical application to healthcare delivery but your work must reflect the Academy’s mission to improve health through research.
To be eligible to apply you must:
- hold an academic post that incorporates research
- be in their first independent (salaried) position (i.e. group-leader level, line managed not supervised)
- be within 5 years (FTE) of appointment to this position
- have sufficient time remaining in their current post to complete the proposed Springboard project
- be based within one of the eligible higher education institutions
And you must not:
- hold a clinical contract
- be in receipt of substantial research funding as the Principal or Co- Investigator exceeding £150,000 for the two year Springboard award (excluding your personal salary, overhead and indirect costs)
University of Bath process
Potential applicants will be required to present their proposed application to a panel who will select Bath’s applicants that will submit to the springboard scheme. You must contact Dr Laura Wisby to discuss your application and complete eligibility checks before the panel meeting.
- 8 March 2021: Deadline for potential applicants to inform Dr Laura Wisby of intent to pitch and provide details of eligibility
- 15 March 2021: Proforma slides for selection panel meeting sent to potential applicants
- A day between 05 to 21 April 2021 tbc: Presentations to selection panel
- 26 April 2021: Inform AMS of selected Bath applicants (max 4)
Those selected to apply to the Springboard scheme will work closely with Dr Laura Wisby and Bath’s Springboard Champion Professor Laurence Hurst to develop their proposals for submission.
The AMS deadline for submission of full application is 08 June 2021.
Email Dr Laura Wisby: firstname.lastname@example.org by 08 March 2021 to be considered.