There was a Council meeting on 29 November at which the following were discussed.
Council received a presentation by the Students’ Union President on their Top Ten Issues for 2018/19.
Financial reports and annual returns
Council approved the Financial Statements for the year ended 31 July 2018, noting the positive independent auditor’s report. It approved the financial forecasts for 2018/19, the Annual Accountability Return and Prevent Annual Report for submission to the Office for Students. It also received the Annual Quality Report, as recommended by Senate, and a report on the University’s compliance with its 2017/18 Access Agreement.
16 Lansdown Crescent
Council approved a recommendation from Finance Committee that the University should sell the freehold of 16 Lansdown Crescent.
Council approved the Annual Report of the Audit Committee and the Internal Audit Annual Report for the year ended 31 July 2018.
Council approved the likelihood and impact of the key risks to the University and revisions to the University Risk Management Strategy to reflect the new role of the Audit and Risk Assurance Committee.
Equality, Diversity and Inclusion
Council noted the Annual Report of the Equality and Diversity Committee.
Council discussed the Annual Report from the Director of Human Resources.
Council noted that in the 2017/18 academic year, the University had received four public interest disclosures from a single individual, though none were upheld.
Council approved several recommendations from the Effectiveness Review Steering Group, including:
- a reduction in the size of Council to 21 members, subject to approval by the Privy Council, and a reduced list of staff to be routinely in attendance
- a maximum of three 3-year terms of membership on Council, including any time as Chair/ Vice-Chair/ Treasurer
- that the Vice-Chair of Council should also be the Senior Independent Director
- that donations by Council members above £3,000 in future be declared in the declaration of interests, along with the purpose of donation (for example, funding a scholarship)
- that the terms of reference for the Audit and Risk Assurance Committee be amended