What's the purpose of the upgrade
To implement the industry standards (802.11 k and r) that reduce the time needed for a device to roam (switch) from one wireless access point (AP) to another.
When is the upgrade taking place
Tuesday 3 August at 8am.
What are the benefits of the upgrade
- Better roaming
- Improves VOIP/Teams calls on the go
- Improves connectivity
- Reduces the need to re-authenticate between access points
Will my device be affected by the upgrade
A small number of devices won't be able to connect to eduroam and govroam networks following the upgrade:
- Any devices older than ~2008.
- Apple devices older than the iPhone 4S
- Android devices with Mediatek chipsets appear to have limited support
If your device doesn't work on eduroam, due to one of the reasons above, you should connect to the Legacy Wi-Fi network.
Help and support
If you need help and support with your device please contact the IT Helpdesk.
We thank you for your patience, whilst we work to improve the Wi-Fi network.