The South West Biosciences Doctoral Training Partnership (SWBio DTP) is funded by the Biotechnology and Biological Sciences Research Council (BBRSC) and comprises the Universities of Bath, Bristol, Cardiff and Exeter, alongside Rothamsted Research.
This partnership also includes the following associate partners:
- Marine Biological Association (MBA)
- Plymouth Marine Laboratory (PML)
- Swansea University
- UCB Pharma
- University of the West of England (UWE)
- SETsquared Bristol
These institutions represent a distinctive group of bioscience research staff and students, with established international, national and regional networks, and widely recognised research excellence. As research leaders, they have a strong track record in advancing knowledge through high-quality research and teaching, in partnership with industry and the government.
Studentships are available at Bath across the following research themes:
- advancing the frontiers of bioscience discovery
- bioscience for sustainable agriculture and food
- bioscience for an integrated understanding of health
Research training is underpinned by transformative technologies, allowing you to expand the boundaries of your research through innovative tools, technologies and approaches.
You will be recruited to a broad, interdisciplinary project, supported by a multidisciplinary supervisory team. There are many cross-institutional PhD projects available that build on the expertise of each of our partners. There are also opportunities to:
- apply your research in an industrial setting through our projects with an industrial partner (DTP CASE studentships)
- undertake research jointly with some of our core and associate partners (standard DTP studentships with an associate partner)
Some projects will also offer working with other national/international researchers, as well as fieldwork opportunities.