To participate in this study, you should be:
- A regular exerciser (participate in at least 30 minutes of structured exercise at least three times per week)
- Able to complete two hours of moderate-intensity cycling
- Aged between 18 and 60
You will not be able to take part in this study if you:
- Have used products marketed as prebiotics, probiotics or synbiotics within four weeks of starting the study. These include Yakult, Actimel, Activia, VSL#3, Kefir and some others. Please note: consuming regular cheese or yogurt containing lactic acid bacteria is not cause for exclusion
- Have undergone systemic antibiotic or antimycotic treatment within four weeks of starting the study
- Are following diets likely to affect the study's outcome. These include:
- Low FODMAP
- Gluten free/coeliac
- Weight loss (caloric restriction, low-carbohydrate)
- 5:2/whole day energy restriction
- Juicing/any day of juicing
- Any other restricted diet (such as very low calory)
- Vegan diets (Galactooligosaccharide is derived from cow’s milk).
You should let the lead researcher know about any changes in your diet, supplement use or medication that may affect study outcomes within two months prior to study entry or planned during the study.
All records will be treated as confidential, including personal contact details.
Data collection and retention will comply fully with General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) and will only be accessible to the lead researcher and their supervisor.